eBay Laser Failure and the road to fixing it

Hardware settings, adjustments and fixes and other hardware discussion. This includes the "doHICky" Laser Power measurement system by Russ.
Dustin Hawkinson

Re: eBay Laser Failure and the road to fixing it

Post by Dustin Hawkinson » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:22 am

Cesar - I just replaced the bad power supply with a LO 60W one. The old PSU as you stated had four wires, but if you trace them or look closely at the circuit board, two are AC, one is the ground (FG), and one is the negative high voltage wire which you will have to connect to the loose lead on your new PSU. Mine was wired from top to bottom L- (high voltage ground) / FG (frame ground) / AC / AC.

I also noticed the factory wired the stock PSU in a very weird way, almost like they stumbled across their method by trial and error. The trigger was wires as always on, and the water pump safety pin was wired to the controller as a trigger. This is how I wired my new PSU:

Controller - PSU
WP1 - WP
LPWM1 - IN
L-On1 - TL
GND - GND

This way the PSU is triggered correctly, and both the PSU and the controller will check for the water flow before firing. Probably not necessary unless you use the test button on the PSU, but they both have the circuitry so why not.

As an update, my LightObject PSU arrived as I just described and works well. I have not heard back from the vendor, so I am going to assume they are not going to respond and see if I can threaten PP action. The new tube took forever to ship and although I ordered it a day before the PSU, it won't be here until Monday. In the mean time I am testing everything with the old tube.

Side note: I just finished aligning all of the mirrors from scratch after putting the tube back in. Mirror two was way out of line from the factory and I had to loosen the whole mount and change the elevation and lateral position. The factory had just roughly pointed the mirrors and ignored the mirrors being in the right place. The laser head/mirror 3 needs to be moved laterally toward the front of the machine, but I have no way of accomplishing this.
40W (ebay 50W blue wonder), 300mm x 500m, TL
Windows10 RDW 8.01.19
(The member formerly known as astral)
-Dustin

Dustin Hawkinson

Re: eBay Laser Failure and the road to fixing it

Post by Dustin Hawkinson » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:27 am

I also just finished "repairing" the original power supply. I took it completely apart and inspected all of the components. If any of them died, they didn't in a way that I can visually detect. No transistors burning up or anything. There was water residue on the board, but no damage that I could tell. On the bottom of the board I found a solder joint that was messed up in a way I haven't seen before. I scraped off some solder mask and soldered the connection back together. I'm not sure if that fixed it or not, I'll fire it up and test it at some point if I'm not too lazy.
40W (ebay 50W blue wonder), 300mm x 500m, TL
Windows10 RDW 8.01.19
(The member formerly known as astral)
-Dustin