Russ' Mirror Tool?

Hardware settings, adjustments and fixes and other hardware discussion. This includes the "doHICky" Laser Power measurement system by Russ.
Michael Dunning

Re: Russ' Mirror Tool?

Post by Michael Dunning » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:06 am

Fred,
I will take a look this weekend. Thanks to EAA, I've got a legitimate copy of Solidworks for only $40 :mrgreen:
Shameless EAA plug: http://www.eaa.org/solidworks

I agree on the thread pitch problem; how do we know each machine uses the same? I guess we could start a list somewhere. As for casting, we have a friend we've hired that makes replica props, and has made casting his art for 10 years or so now. If we could guarantee fitment somehow, my thought was to have him cast a bunch for other members, since casting is much faster than printing. If you're okay with that, of course. If you are willing to 3D print them on demand, there may be no need to cast them.

Dustin,
I'm starting to think the 5mm tool may be the more universal solution...

What do you guys and gals think?
EBay Chinese 60W (45W actual) laser cutter, 700x500mm, (TR)
RDWorks V8.01.18 and V8.00.27
Michael

fred ungewitter
Nickname: fred
Laser Machine Make or Type: Redsail Clone
Laser Power: 60W
Laser Bed Size: 500 x 700
Home Position: TR
RDWorks Version: 8.01.18
Accessories: Chuck style rotary, 30 ma meter, home-spun office water cooler mod, muffin fan anti-condensate blower
Windows Version: Windows 7

Post by fred ungewitter » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:16 am

I would expect that if the inside diameter is 20 mm, the pitch of the threads would be the same. It seems unlikely that manufacturers would create a custom threading tool. If a laser cutter manufacturer is not building its own mirror mounts, someone else is and selling them more-or-less universally across the industry.
fred

Redsail clone 60w 700 x 500 REAL 60w Puri tube
home upper right, chuck type rotary 15000 pulse setting
RDW 8.01.18
Win7

Emblaser A3 4w diode laser
BCN3D Sigma Dual Extruder 3d printer
LMS Mini-mill
Cube 3rd gen 3d printer, universal filament mod
Under construction: OX CNC 1000x750 router

Dustin Hawkinson

Post by Dustin Hawkinson » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:33 am

Michael - I've sat in on a couple EAA meetings in the past since I enjoy aviation and have a couple friends who build kits. Does that special version of SW have anything missing that the full version has? I've been using Fusion360 for years, but I would love to try SW for the cost of the EAA membership.

As far as the tool vs cast plug thing goes, I don't know if there would be enough demand to make casting a part worth the effort. We could figure out an estimated cost and post a poll to see what interest there is. I would wait until we have a solid design on a tool and then post that up along with the plug with pictures of both and ask people to vote:

a: I am interested in paying $X for a cast plug to replace the stock mirror plate thing

B: I am just going to make one of these tools
or
c: I am not interested or my machine wouldn't work with these designs

That is unless Michael just wants an excuse to have a casting project. In that case demand doesn't matter as much :lol:
40W (ebay 50W blue wonder), 300mm x 500m, TL
Windows10 RDW 8.01.19
(The member formerly known as astral)
-Dustin

fred ungewitter
Accessories: Chuck style rotary, 30 ma meter, home-spun office water cooler mod, muffin fan anti-condensate blower

Post by fred ungewitter » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:56 am

Dustin Hawkinson wrote:
That is unless Michael just wants an excuse to have a casting project. In that case demand doesn't matter as much :lol:
That frame of reference drives so many of my projects. All one needs is a reason, a simple justification. Profit, demand, who cares!
fred

RDW 8.01.18
Win7

LMS Mini-mill

Michael Dunning

Post by Michael Dunning » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:56 pm

fred ungewitter wrote:
Dustin Hawkinson wrote:
That frame of reference drives so many of my projects. All one needs is a reason, a simple justification. Profit, demand, who cares!
I see that you're both accustomed with General Aviation products! :lol:

My coworker had an excellent suggestion that I plan to explore...but first, did everyone get a set of Allen keys included with their laser cutter? If so, what was the biggest size?
Michael

Michael Dunning

Post by Michael Dunning » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:03 pm

Dustin Hawkinson wrote:Michael - I've sat in on a couple EAA meetings in the past since I enjoy aviation and have a couple friends who build kits. Does that special version of SW have anything missing that the full version has? I've been using Fusion360 for years, but I would love to try SW for the cost of the EAA membership.
Check out this comparison: https://www.solidworks.com/sw/docs/Stud ... rix_LB.pdf

I'm not sure it skips anything a "normal user" would miss, but you never know.
Michael

Dustin Hawkinson

Post by Dustin Hawkinson » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:41 pm

Michael Dunning wrote: My coworker had an excellent suggestion that I plan to explore...but first, did everyone get a set of Allen keys included with their laser cutter? If so, what was the biggest size?
Mine did, 10mm was the biggest.
Michael Dunning wrote: Check out this comparison: https://www.solidworks.com/sw/docs/Stud ... rix_LB.pdf

I'm not sure it skips anything a "normal user" would miss, but you never know.
Thanks. I've used a couple of those features in the past, but they are certainly not a deal breaker. I'll have to try this out this weekend.
Windows10 RDW 8.01.19
-Dustin

Michael Dunning

Post by Michael Dunning » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:41 pm

Thanks to a brilliant suggestion by my coworker, I've got two versions ready to test:
Mirror Tools.png
Mirror Tools.png (136.03 KiB) Viewed 89 times
The top one uses the 8mm hex key as a base, and a bit of coat hangar wire for the pins. The handle portion is optional, as is gluing it together. The number of circular discs is to ensure the handle portion clears the alignment screws around the mirror. More pieces can be added as desired.

The bottom one is designed to be used with a 3/8" extension on a ratchet. It will require glue to assemble, but should be handy for the back and side mirrors.

Actual assembly will have to wait until tomorrow. I'll try them both and report back...
Michael

Dustin Hawkinson

Post by Dustin Hawkinson » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:00 am

Lookin good Michael. I started wondering if a 3D printed ABS part might be strong enough, so tomorrow I'm going to print one up and try it. While looking for a metal coat hanger like what you were going to use, I found one of these clothing store hangers that come with some clothes if you ask to keep them at the register. The metal part was much much stronger than a normal metal coat hanger, and a better fit for the mirror retention nut things that are in my machine so I'll see how it works.
MirrorRemovalTool v1.png
MirrorRemovalTool v1.png (55.08 KiB) Viewed 83 times
IMG_0670.JPG
IMG_0670.JPG (69.93 KiB) Viewed 83 times
Windows10 RDW 8.01.19
-Dustin

fred ungewitter

Post by fred ungewitter » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:39 am

I'm subscribed to Russ' channel, and this morning brought this piece of wisdom from the old fellow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1QsiS2U3LU

A Russ design original mirror retaining ring removal tool! He references to this forum, which means there's a post somewhere here with the files, although it hasn't shown up on my RSS feed yet.
fred

RDW 8.01.18
Win7

LMS Mini-mill