Who's running servos?

If you have made Upgrades and/or Modifications to your machine, let us know about them here.
Abraham Saenz

Re: Who's running servos?

Post by Abraham Saenz » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:13 am

David J Fisher wrote:After the fiasco with leadshine things are good. Chris at leadshine is as low as they go. I wouldn't recommend their product to my worst enemy. Pure Chinese junk. See cnczone for details. But the ClearPath servos are the bees knees. Tecnic was awesome to deal with, stellar product, top notch all around.

Be careful buying pulleys from BBQ driver on amazon. The listing states that you can specify Pulley bore. He sent me the wrong one. Then refuses to answer questions etc.

I've been doing a lot of plastic lasermax work making tags lately. Machine is doing well.

I'm running the ipc5 supply and just left the steppers on the bed.

You are gonna love the clear path servos
Hey, thanks for sharing.

Cant wait for mine to arrive. I choose the BBQ driver option with a fixed 1/4 bore to try to avoid that, but I guess errors can still happen on their side.

How is the compound performance on the Clearpaths? any installation advice?

Thanks
Acctek AKJ6040+Clearpath Servos+90W EFR laser tube, 1.5 inch lens, polyurethane belts, Boeshield T-9 Lub :)

David J Fisher

Post by David J Fisher » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:02 pm

So install is really pretty easy. The issues I ran into were as follows. I thought the steppers on my machine were nema 21. They were not. I had enough meat left on the mounting brackets to make it work. The pulleys were the biggest headache. I bought one pulley from BBQ driver. At the time there were no others in the country. I've got backups now. Tecnic says in the manual not to use a set screw to secure a pulley. Mine came with 3/8" shaft with a featherd keyway. They did not come with keys. So I reused the original pulleys, bored them out, and had key ways broached in.

This is all from a few weeks back, there have been some pretty wild Phish shows between then and now so don't quote me on any measurements. But if I were you I'd be looking to find a friend with a set of small key way broaches. I broached mine at .100" and then fitted it with a needle file. I remember that the .125" key way was too big. So that worked well for me.

I made the keys on my cnc out of aluminum. Probably not the best key stock, but good enough. I wanted really nice tight fitting keys. I then put a set screw to hit the key. This is partly why I didn't use the BBQ Driver pulleys. While its nice that there are multiple set screws that do not interfere with the toothed pulley, it didn't work out for me. Your mileage will vary here, but keep in mind the location of the key on the shaft in relation to the motor mount, and where the pulley needs to live. In my case, I couldn't get a setscrew to hit the key, with out drilling into the teeth of the pulley. The one thing the manual said explicitly not to do was mount a pulley or gear with only a setscrew. I figured since they were being such a great company with their warranty etc, that I should at least mount the pulley per their instructions.

Also, your drag chain will probably need an update. Again, I'm sure this varies greatly machine to machine, but on mine the drag chain was a generic non gated Chinese one. I took some snips and cut it away link by link. I then replaced it with a bigger, gated, Igus chain. On my machine the 24" chain fit perfectly. Just don't forget to buy the ends of the chain. Having a gated chain makes life so much easier and you pretty much have to have it. On the POS leadshine servos ( I can't say POS enough times) we cut the com cable and resolderd the 13 leads to the connector. Not fun. What I'm saying is that their is a good chance the cable won't fit through your existing chain with out cutting the connector off. Its worth the time and effort to replace the chain imo.

Tuning these things is amazing. You connect the motor via usb, download the software, configure the extents of the motion, and basically press next. 5 - 10 minutes later its done. Be sure to view the scope via the app, during the auto tuning. Its really fun to watch the thing tune its self in. Especially after wasting weeks with other servos. Check your belt tension before and after tunning. It knocked my x belt loose the first time. I'm running the drive belt from the servo to the pulley really tight. Cut some circles, you'll know when you have it tight enough.

I'm still testing, but so far all has been really good. I've been doing tons of lasermax plastic work, so its not exactly ideal to judge performance. They seem to play fine together. All the problems I had that I thought could be attributed to the compound motion turned out to just be slack belts. Which brings about the importance of the keying the pulley. I didn't key in the leadshine motors, and they slipped and racked. That really sucks. I was rastering a telecaster when I had a pulley a pulley slip. It amounted to the set screw moving from either side of the flat on the shaft post direction change. The tecnics don't have flats. I'm pretty sure this is because they really want people to key these in. They have a lott of torque.

Let me know what you figure out. I only have time to check in on this forum about twice a week, so if you have any questions feel free to PM or email me directly

-Dave (off to have a weekend)
Redsail m900 90/100 Reci w2 TR
Dave

Keith Sherwin
Site Admin
Nickname: Keith
Laser Machine Make or Type: POS China
Laser Power: 80
Laser Bed Size: 400 x 600
Home Position: TL
RDWorks Version: V8.01.23
Accessories: Hot dog roller, doHICkey Power Meter, Multi-Lens, High power exhaust, Interior filter soon.
Windows Version: W7 Pro

Post by Keith Sherwin » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:29 pm

Hey Dave - Some creek type forums won't allow you to say POS
- That was when I started thinking about starting this forum :!:
Feel free to use any acronyms that need to be used.
My laser used to be a POS, but it is fixed now. Now it is a "Product of Singapore" :lol:

Guess your unit is fixed also.
Nice to see good outcomes.
Sounds like you are having a great adventure now.
:idea: Started this forum Lead in creation of the RDWorksLab English Manual.
Cheers,
Keith

Abraham Saenz

Post by Abraham Saenz » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:12 pm

Ok,

So Clearpaths installed and working (mostly) fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtrgYuD ... load_owner

If you want to embark into this journey, make sure your have a lot of patience, this is not a plug and play upgrade and this are not as easy to install as stepper motors.

Most of my current problems I tribute to be using a lousy power supply, I decided to use my original 48V 10A (40V rated) power supply and I got a lot of voltage saturation and torque saturation warnings while auto tuning. The auto tuning will try to adjust the Clearpaths to whatever conditions your system is in and do so for the most extreme uses, if your have a lousy power source, it will lower the Kp (disturbance rejection, torque) resulting in large velocity errors and less than ideal cuts.

I found a way to manually tune them to my particular use cases, but its done without a proper interface modifying a text file essentially, and I got much better results, still about 90% of what my stepper motors where able to in terms of accuracy of the cuts.

A new over sized power supply is arriving http://www.americanmotiontech.com/produ ... wer-supply soon and I will update, at the moment they are not as good as my EM-503 driver + generic 2.Nm 2 phase steppers that was tuned to perfection, but if I've learned something is that they have a lot more untapped potential.
Acctek AKJ6040+Clearpath Servos+90W EFR laser tube, 1.5 inch lens, polyurethane belts, Boeshield T-9 Lub :)

David J Fisher

Post by David J Fisher » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:25 pm

Hey guys, quick update. Things are going good on the servos, with one minor glitch. I'm running the beefy ipc-5 power supply, and the auto tune was a dream come true. My problem was an alignment offset between raster and vector. I didn't think much of it, as I had jobs to get out the door and I could simply compensate by moving the graphic in the software. That was until one day I tried to cut and raster the same layer. Before this I was thinking it was a layer misalignment problem within the software. I read a lot of post where people said to draw a box around everything and then try. Well none of this worked, and I figured that out when I tried to cut and raster the same layer.

Well days of testing and mis-configuring the software got me know where. I had been away from the forums for a while (pulling my hair out trying to figure out what was causing this problem) and wasn't aware my home position needed to be in my sig - this led to my posting privileges being revoked. But anyway now that I'm on the good side of the law here I thought I'd share what I learned. I posted the situation to SMC and got some helpful ideas, but none of which solved the problem. Now understand, this is aggravating but not devastating. The machine is so much smoother and quieter on servos that I would live with the problem as it was not that big of a deal to me. I just became determined to track down what was causing this.

A few days go by, and I get an email from one of the engineers/ techs at Tencic the manufacturer of the Clearpath Servos. He explains that there is a regressive auto spline function on the clearpaths that smooths the motion. He informed me that this function takes a very small amount of time to compute. This is typically not a problem, but in a laser raster it could be. He suggested that I back that setting off and see if it helps. He let me know that even at its lowest setting there was still about a 1ms delay. DING DING DING problem solved. Well mostly-- the alignment was off just enough not to be acceptable for this use. The tech had informed me that this might be the case but you could create a micro controlled delay circuit between the controller and laser PSU to tune out this offset. My friend and tech wiz has designed up a circuit and I am waiting on the parts to come in the mail.

I can't believe the difference in customer service between Leadshine and Tecnic. These guys at Tecnic really know there stuff. They must be paying pretty close attention to when their name comes up online. The tech referenced my post at SMC and took the time to email me the exact solution to my problem that no one could figure out. This blew my mind. I've never had anyone reach out to me from a major company before just because I posted a problem on a web forum. I can not say enough good things about this company's products or the guys that stand behind them in the support department. If you ever find yourself needing servos you owe it to yourself to look at the Tecnic product line first. Learn from my mistakes! Keep on rockin' in the free world gang.
Redsail m900 90/100 Reci w2 TR
Dave

Abraham Saenz

Post by Abraham Saenz » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:03 pm

Hey David,

Did a quick video addressing the issue and how I solved it in software.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrCi3Us0CTI

I know you have an Anywells controller (I think), hopefully it will have equivalent settings.