cheap chiller idea

If you have made Upgrades and/or Modifications to your machine, let us know about them here.
Guy Hanson

cheap chiller idea

Post by Guy Hanson » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:35 pm

I was at the recycling yard and spotted an old drinking water fountain with chiller in the pile. For $10 it was worth a chance. I put a second submersible pump in my water tank to circulate the water through the coil then wired a strap on aquastat to the side of the tank. When the tank temp rises the aquastat closes turning on the pump and powering up the compressor. The whole thing is about 18" square by 24" high.

The nice part about using a water fountain chiller is they're for this unlike trying to adapt an old fridge or air conditioner.

Guy
Generic Chinese 130 watt Laser, 1400x900, TL,
RDC6442G controller, 2M415 stepper drivers, homemade roller table,
RDWorks 8.01.18
Guy

Keith Sherwin
Site Admin
Nickname: Keith
Laser Machine Make or Type: POS China
Laser Power: 80
Laser Bed Size: 400 x 600
Home Position: TL
RDWorks Version: V8.01.23
Accessories: Hot dog roller, doHICkey Power Meter, Multi-Lens, High power exhaust, Interior filter soon.
Windows Version: W7 Pro

Re: cheap chiller idea

Post by Keith Sherwin » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:46 pm

Good thinking Guy.
:idea: Started this forum.
Lead in creation of the RDWorksLab English Manual.
Cheers, :D
Keith

fred ungewitter
Nickname: fred
Laser Machine Make or Type: Redsail Clone
Laser Power: 60W
Laser Bed Size: 500 x 700
Home Position: TR
RDWorks Version: 8.01.18
Accessories: Chuck style rotary, 30 ma meter, home-spun office water cooler mod, muffin fan anti-condensate blower
Windows Version: Windows 7

Post by fred ungewitter » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:40 pm

Guy, somewhere in this forum may be a post I made, or maybe it was just generated in my alleged mind and never posted, but I purchased an office water cooler for a good bit more and did something similar. It gets the water temperature down nicely, although I don't know how well it holds it, as my laser hasn't been running long enough for a decent test in that respect.

I agree with your assessment that it's a water cooler and cools water well. I think you scored well with your find, and your mods are spot on, too.
fred

Redsail clone 60w 700 x 500 REAL 60w Puri tube
home upper right, chuck type rotary 15000 pulse setting
RDW 8.01.18
Win7

Emblaser A3 4w diode laser
BCN3D Sigma Dual Extruder 3d printer
LMS Mini-mill
Cube 3rd gen 3d printer, universal filament mod
Under construction: OX CNC 1000x750 router

Jason Wright

Post by Jason Wright » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:17 pm

would this be a decent alternative to the expensive cw5000 models

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AQUARIUM-HYDR ... Swal5YMvJJ

it will keep the water to 14 degrees, and can handle tanks up to 400 litres and a flow rate of 1200 litres per hour so the capacity must be fine, half the price of the cw5000 unit
Chinese 700x500 80 watt machine - TR
Mods: custom air assist off a workshop compressor, ammeter installed, switch panel, overnight internal tube heater

RD works V8.01.18 windows 10

Jason

fred ungewitter
Nickname: fred
Laser Machine Make or Type: Redsail Clone
Laser Power: 60W
Laser Bed Size: 500 x 700
Home Position: TR
RDWorks Version: 8.01.18
Accessories: Chuck style rotary, 30 ma meter, home-spun office water cooler mod, muffin fan anti-condensate blower
Windows Version: Windows 7

Post by fred ungewitter » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:16 pm

Jason, after reading your post, I checked out ebay listings available to the USA and discovered a wide range of chillers for aquariums. One would only hope that the flow rate and tank size reference are useful data for cooling laser tubes. I found many low power, small tank coolers for low prices, but that information would lead one to believe that the chiller would not maintain the cooling over time.

I think if you purchase one, you'll become a pathfinder for the group and I hope you'll report back your findings.
fred

Redsail clone 60w 700 x 500 REAL 60w Puri tube
home upper right, chuck type rotary 15000 pulse setting
RDW 8.01.18
Win7

Emblaser A3 4w diode laser
BCN3D Sigma Dual Extruder 3d printer
LMS Mini-mill
Cube 3rd gen 3d printer, universal filament mod
Under construction: OX CNC 1000x750 router

Jason Wright

Post by Jason Wright » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:44 pm

i will have to get something sorted, even in the uk winter (although its mild weather at the moment) im seeing almost 20 degrees c tmps after only a couple of hours run time, and it takes forevr to cool down, maybe i need a bigger water tank, so even if i get a bigger tank and and one of these fish units that might work
Chinese 700x500 80 watt machine - TR
Mods: custom air assist off a workshop compressor, ammeter installed, switch panel, overnight internal tube heater

RD works V8.01.18 windows 10

Jason

Keith Sherwin
Site Admin
Nickname: Keith
Laser Machine Make or Type: POS China
Laser Power: 80
Laser Bed Size: 400 x 600
Home Position: TL
RDWorks Version: V8.01.23
Accessories: Hot dog roller, doHICkey Power Meter, Multi-Lens, High power exhaust, Interior filter soon.
Windows Version: W7 Pro

Post by Keith Sherwin » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:59 pm

ALMOST 20 C (68 f) is not considered a high temperature! But, I guess it depends on how many hours of production you are running.
:idea: Started this forum.
Lead in creation of the RDWorksLab English Manual.
Cheers, :D
Keith

Tikhomirov Sergey

Post by Tikhomirov Sergey » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:30 pm

Have you heard about the domestic Chinese marketplace Taobao(taobao.com)? Of course that all communicate in Chinese, but google translate won't be a problem. There is the cost CW5000 company S&A of approximately $323. You will need to contact seller for shipping options to your country. Another point in the day where you can pay with credit card not more than 2000 yuan is about $280. We in Russia are very popular purchases on this site, problems with delivery and paying for a large percentage solve many intermediaries. I think there are in your countries such intermediaries. It's cheaper than buying on ebay or aliexpress.
Machine KaitianLaser C90 used with 2006 and restored me.
Power 80w(EFR-F2(80-95w)), Laser Bed Size 1000x620mm Laser head Home Position TR
RDC6442G RDWorks v8.01.21 on W7x32 Ult
Sergey

Doug Fisher

Post by Doug Fisher » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:39 am

Search the archives of sawmill creek for chillers. There are a number of people who have used water coolers and aquarium chillers with varying degrees of success and have posted about their journey. Aquarium chillers have worked for some people who don't place big demands for a long period and have relatively small laser tubes. I think you run into a resevior tank capacity issue on some of the aquarium chillers which results in them not being able to keep up with the hot return water coming back into the chiller.

If someone plans to buy a CW chiller, and I wouldn't invest in any of their models lower than a CW5000, be aware there are a lot of good fakes out there. You will see the warnings to look for the S&A logos on the caps but I bet the counterfeiters have "fixed" that by now. Another indicator is the lack of a bar code next to the serial number on the back of the unit. There was a poster in one of the forums who's unit broke and S&A pointed out it was a fake because it didn't have the bar code on the back. Cha-ching $$$.
80 Watt 700mm x 500mm Ke Hui KH-7050 Laser (Similar to the Red Sail),T.R.
LaSea/EFR F2 Series laser tube, RuiDa RDC6442G EC controller, 2" lens, RDWorks v8.01.18, CW 5000 chiller, Chuck type of rotary attachment
Doug

Jay Wrightson

Post by Jay Wrightson » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:03 am

Aquarium chillers for the win. They are made to run 24/7 and as such can handle an 8 hour laser workday easily. Buy second hand for savings, just clean it out good before use.
-Jay

-------------------------------------------
50W Blue and White Chinese Laser, 500 x 300, TL
RdWorks V8.01.18
N Ireland, UK