Rotary attachment help

A place for users to ask questions and search for already asked questions. "BE NICE" and helpful!

PM GeneMpls with Questions about this FAQ PM - Top Right Side by your name.
Malcolm Lewis

Rotary attachment help

Postby Malcolm Lewis » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:36 pm

Purchased a rotary attachment to try my hand at a bit of engraving on yeti cups. My machine offers a rotary attachment connection on the front, side wall. I have watched videos where the "Y" axis cable is disconnected and the rotary attachment cable is put in its place but this isn't an option on my machine. I assume that Y axis is substituted for the rotary fixture through the software interface "Enable Rotate Engrave".

Before connecting the rotary cable, should the machine be powered off? I am guessing that the machine recognizes the attachment when it is powered up and this creates the interface between the two units.

Any help would be appreciated.
Chinese 100w laser
700x500mm bed
TL home orientation
Malcolm

fred ungewitter

Re: Rotary attachment help

Postby fred ungewitter » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:42 pm

If your y-axis cable isn't to be disconnected, yet you have the connection inside the work area, you will most certainly want to power down the machine when making the connection. It is possible another forum user has cooked/bricked/fried his controller or other component by performing a cable change with the power on.

I'm unfamiliar with your specific machine, but it behooves you to do your best to track down the controller end of the rotary cable in order to better identify the proper operation. For example, if you trace the cable and discover it's attached to an otherwise unused port on the controller, you would not have to disconnect the y-axis, making it all the more likely that the Enable Rotate Engrave feature works for you.

Someone better qualified than I, perhaps an owner of a similar machine would be a better choice for advice specific to this instance.
fred

Redsail clone 60w 700 x 500
home upper right
RDWorks 8.01.18
Windows 7

Emblaser A3 4w diode laser
BCN3D Sigma Dual Extruder 3d printer
LMS Mini-mill
Cube 3rd gen 3d printer (works great, for sale)
Under construction: OX CNC 1000x750 router - out of the box, still in baggies!

Doug Fisher

Postby Doug Fisher » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:02 pm

This thread I started might help you out. I have a port inside my work area but still have to swap out the connection at the controller too.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=617&hilit=what+connector
80 Watt 700mm x 500mm Ke Hui KH-7050 Laser (Similar to the Red Sail),T.R.
LaSea/EFR F2 Series laser tube, RuiDa RDC6442G EC controller, 2" lens, RDWorks v8.01.18, CW 5000 chiller, Chuck type of rotary attachment
Doug

Malcolm Lewis

Postby Malcolm Lewis » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:46 pm

Thanks for the help guys. Doug, we apparently have the exact machine. Does this mean that it isn't neccessary to use the "Enable Rotate" function in RDWorks? I will give it a try tomorrow
Chinese 100w laser
700x500mm bed
TL home orientation
Malcolm

Doug Fisher

Postby Doug Fisher » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:01 pm

I am a rotary newbie too (see your private messages) but what I have read so far indicates you still have to enable User tab > Rotating > Enable rotating. Hopefully someone with real experience will chime in and advise.
LaSea/EFR F2 Series laser tube, RuiDa RDC6442G EC controller, 2" lens, RDWorks v8.01.18, CW 5000 chiller, Chuck type of rotary attachment
Doug

Gene Uselman

Postby Gene Uselman » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:29 am

Keith's write up in the forum manual is very helpful- I used it a few weeks ago. Your rotary will rotate in place of the Y axis without any changes as the stepper driver does not know which motor it is connected to- enabling in the user tab has more to do with changing the speed of rotation in order to make the controller understand how much to rotate for the engraving operation. Gene
Gene- 130W 1300x900 China Laser with 2" FL lens
V8.01.19 RDWorks on Win 7 pro
500mm Z, blade table machine home is upper right.

100W Reci tube in a Bodor BCL0605MU V8.01.19
600x500x 200Z, SS table, 2" FL- mach home upper right
Vectric Aspire software- FlexiSignPro- vector/bitmap

Dustin Hawkinson

Postby Dustin Hawkinson » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:50 am

I started experimenting with rotary before the manual, so I haven't read that part, but I have never enabled rotary in software. I'll have to give it a read now out of curiosity.
40W (ebay 50W blue wonder), 300mm x 500m, TL
Windows10 RDW 8.01.19
(The member formerly known as astral)
-Dustin

Kev peterkin

Postby Kev peterkin » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:52 am

sounds the same as my machine, i'm just finding my way with the chuck rotary too (took me ages to figure out why i had no movement till i traced a broken wire on the rotary itself.....) Any hoo, yes power down the machine, plug the rotart into the round plug inside the laser bed and then unplug the Y controller block in the laser case side panel and plug in the spare block that should be in there, this spare block should trace up to the plug where you plugged your rotary into (there will be a couple of wires looped into the main Y axis plug though.) make sure the laser head is out of the way of the rotary for now and power up the laser, the rotary should do a load of fast and slow spinning then stop, pressing up and down on the laser control panel should now spin the chuck. I've heard some people need to move the laser head up to the top right possition to trigger a senson but i've not had to do that.
Then its off to the software....... thats what I'm currently figuring out to get the work to engrave properly without elongating etc.
60w Chinese Red & Black 700x500 (644XG)
chuck style rotary
running RdWorks 8.01.18
Windows 10

40w POS cheap n cheerful desktop laser (actually a great little engraver but sucks at cutting)
2w DIY usb powered micro laser kit, SLOWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Hans Nieborg

Postby Hans Nieborg » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:48 am

One of the things I did was make a relay control to switch between the normal Y-Axis stepper and 3-roller rotary device. Now, I just plug in the rotary device and throw a toggle switch that drives the relay, then off I go.

Of course, you should still power down the machine, plug in the rotary device and throw the toggle the switch, then power up the machine to prevent 'spiking' the stepper controller.

I posted this schematic in the previous version of the forum: http://imgur.com/qyzNkU9
Ke Hui 7050, 60W (53W Real), 70x50cm, 2" FL Only, 6442G Controller, RDWorks V8.01.19, Refrigerated Chiller, In-Home Install, Home = TR.
Retired Design Engineer For High Power Motor Controllers. Now, I Make Items For Geocachers & The Cons (MegaCon, MetraCon, ComicCon, etc).
Hans

Doug Fisher

Postby Doug Fisher » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:58 am

Hans, that looks like a really convenient setup.
Doug

Return to “User Questions and Help”