Edge Lit desk sign

Ideas on how to make money with your Laser.
Gene Uselman
Nickname: Gene
Laser Machine Make or Type: QC1390
Laser Power: 130W EFR
Laser Bed Size: 36x49
Home Position: TR
RDWorks Version: V8.01.19 LO
Accessories: I have a combining lens, pin tables [homebuilt], honeycomb table [LightObject], wireless remote on the way [crossed fingers]
Windows Version: Win 7 Pro

Edge Lit desk sign

Post by Gene Uselman » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:21 pm

OK- I asked for this section so I guess I better get something goin'.

Background is several months ago I made a reverse etched ABC 12" wide panel
as an experiment- turned out well so I machined out a pine prototype base to hold LEDs.
My peeps liked that so i made a little nicer one out of oak- that went thru 3 or 4 iterations,
and while it worked, it was way too time consuming- I am always looking for something that
will wow the customers with perceived value- and be reasonable to build- materials and labor.
early marks.jpg
early marks.jpg (246.99 KiB) Viewed 960 times
Aspire model 7.16.jpg
Aspire model 7.16.jpg (592.48 KiB) Viewed 955 times
So... as each proto was finished (more or less) I would put it out on our reception desk to get the reactions.
Reactions were good- my daughter has a dozen people who want them, and she keeps asking for a price. She sez that no one has ever
asked her for a price (a good sign).... so maybe there is a buck to be made here?
final mark.jpg
final mark.jpg (205.1 KiB) Viewed 959 times
I kept tinkering (which I love to do anyway) with prototypes and became convinced that there had to be an aluminum extrusion to mount the
LEDs to and attach to the acrylic face- so I ordered a couple pieces of anything that looked like a possibility and got to this extrusion:
Klus 81016 profile.jpg
Klus 81016 profile.jpg (100.27 KiB) Viewed 960 times

This is a Klus extrusion 'Anodized Aluminum KRAV-810 Channel - Illuminates the Edges of Glass or Acrylic with LED Tape Light - Klus 18016' - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010O ... UTF8&psc=1

It eliminates a lot of the machining work and can be screwed to an oak base which I think will be cut to an oval with a pattern on a router table
and then a nice round-over will pretty much finish that (with an oil stain). The gussets on the sides were cut from .5 oak to hide the open ends
of the extrusion- I think I will paint the burnt edges black and stain the non burnt sides. The extrusion is adjustible down to .3 inch and I use
.22 acrylic, so I used 3M Very High Bond tape in place of the very thin adhesive that comes on the aluminum- that grips the acrylic just fine. I have white in house but clear would be better?

The leds are a 5 meter roll:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003V ... UTF8&psc=1

The wall warts are here:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FE ... UTF8&psc=1

And the pigtails ( 2.1x 5.5mm) to fit the wall warts are here:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZH ... UTF8&psc=1
leds, pigtails, wall warts.jpg
leds, pigtails, wall warts.jpg (171.15 KiB) Viewed 952 times
With the acrylic and a chunk of oak I would expect to have under $30 in each and no more than an hour.

My daughter thinks they will sell for $250 each and these are current customers so we will have their vector logos- I can set up a file for
RDworks in 5 minutes and I engrave (reverse side) at minimum power and 150-200 mm/s. Sometimes I will run a second pass as a Y swing if
it needs it.

I am sure this is disjointed as I am adding as I have a spare 5 min here and there- If I have missed anything please ask.

I have high hopes of this machine fitting into our workflow (better than the CNC router) and making us some money. Thanks Gene

Keith Sherwin
Site Admin
Nickname: Keith
Laser Machine Make or Type: POS China
Laser Power: 80
Laser Bed Size: 400 x 600
Home Position: TL
RDWorks Version: V8.01.23
Accessories: Hot dog roller, doHICkey Power Meter, Multi-Lens, High power exhaust, Interior filter soon.
Windows Version: W7 Pro

Re: Edge Lit desk sign

Post by Keith Sherwin » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:07 pm

Great Post Gene! Thank you for sharing.
All the information one needs to pay for their machine in about 18 signs or less, accounting for material costs of course!
I do hope others post a complete description like you have, for their ideas on how to make money.
Note: Gene is a moderator on this forum, so he has the ability to edit after 5 minutes.
Most members do not have that ability.
:idea: Started this forum Lead in creation of the RDWorksLab English Manual.
Cheers,
Keith

Gene Uselman
Accessories: I have a combining lens, pin tables [homebuilt], honeycomb table [LightObject], wireless remote on the way [crossed fingers]

Post by Gene Uselman » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:48 pm

Nice Peter- looks quite thick, and engraved on the front? Gene

Toni Baier

Post by Toni Baier » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:38 am

Hi Gene!

Thanks a lot for sharing such detailed info on sign making...

Just a small correction: the KLUS KRAV 810 Profile has the Part Nr. 18016 (instead of 81016).
(Here the page of the profile: http://klusdesign.eu/products/show/419)
(I was looking for a source in germany;-)

Best Regards,

Toni
Toni from South Bavaria
Thunderlaser NOVA24@60W (60x40cm) // TL/BL
Ultrasonic AutoFocus
CW5000 chiller
RDWorks V8.01.19 @ Win7pro/64 (using Parallel on Mac and dedicated Laptop)

Gene Uselman

Post by Gene Uselman » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:45 am

I am aged and prone to this sort of thing- I corrected it in the original post. Thank you. Klus claims to be a Florida company- but it sure looks European to me? That said... I have been wrong... a lot. Thanks Gene

Gene Uselman

Re: Edge Lit desk sign redux

Post by Gene Uselman » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:56 am

OK- after spending more than a month of my life getting two Bodor lasers working well- I am back to making edgelit signs. I have evolved on some of the details and methods, which is the way I tend to work. The oak elements are now simple cutouts with a .25 inch roundover (the two holes are for holddowns on the CNC router- although it would be faster and easier to do on a cheap router table)- I am still sold on the KLUS extrusions and after cutting three 12" segments I noticed that you have a 3" piece left over... so why not make 3" edgelits as well? I think these would sell at craft fairs and similar venues where more inexpensive products sell better. My daughter's sister (½) is a crafter in Austin, Tx and will be doing a booth soon, so a lot of the designs we made are TEXAS related (Texicans love anything Texas). The ends for the 3" are black acrylic, with a deep pocket etched to allow for a cord. As a trial I etched the Texas Republic face .1inch deep- and I think this will be good to make the important text pop.
Logos edgelit.jpg
Logos edgelit.jpg (342.91 KiB) Viewed 448 times
3in edgelit.jpg
3in edgelit.jpg (254.12 KiB) Viewed 448 times
The KLUS extrusions are easily notched with a hand nibbler for the 12V wiring and I have switched from .5 inch oak to .5 inch black acrylic (because I
love acrylic) for the finish pieces on each end. The ends of the extrusion are drilled and countersunk for a small screw into the oak base.
Edgelit mount details.jpg
Edgelit mount details.jpg (331.81 KiB) Viewed 448 times
If any of this need more explanation, I will be happy to elaborate. Gene

Keith Stanley

Post by Keith Stanley » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:19 am

Hi Gene,
An excelllent post with an abundance of information!
Many thanks, :)
Keith

Gene Uselman

Post by Gene Uselman » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:56 pm

Here is a couple more from today- and a stand to hold metric drill bits using .25 acrylic rod as standoffs between the two cut pieces. These were done on the Bodor on .22 clear and glass tinted acrylic. The night light I picked up 3 of for $5 (I think) and the textured plain faces did not engrave well so I cut my own. Gene
Attachments
Edgelit faces 11.15.16.jpg
Edgelit faces 11.15.16.jpg (362.87 KiB) Viewed 362 times

Gene Uselman

Post by Gene Uselman » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:25 am

The saga continues- one of my issues is that I am dealing with established logos- some that we designed over the last 20+ years and some that were brought in. The good news is we always have a vector version of the logo available, so I can try to make something attractive out of it. I find that a lot of logos do not look good with outline engraving only and have been trying different methods of getting a 'fill' where there would normally be a color. The last couple days I have been experimenting with the Interval setting for engraving to get this fill. This is my first attempt after doing a couple of interval panels for reference- the Interstate Companies logo is always filled in so it seemed a good experiment. I am not sure about it yet- not quite promenent enough I think, I may try the interval (0.06) with a bit more power. Gene
Edgelit interval tests.jpg
Edgelit interval tests.jpg (321.56 KiB) Viewed 328 times

Keith Sherwin
Site Admin
Nickname: Keith
Laser Machine Make or Type: POS China
Laser Power: 80
Laser Bed Size: 400 x 600
Home Position: TL
RDWorks Version: V8.01.23
Accessories: Hot dog roller, doHICkey Power Meter, Multi-Lens, High power exhaust, Interior filter soon.
Windows Version: W7 Pro

Post by Keith Sherwin » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:34 pm

Gene, LGP could be your friend. Page 48 or send me the graphic.
:idea: Started this forum Lead in creation of the RDWorksLab English Manual.
Cheers,
Keith