Cut a Rubber Stamp

This is for people that have the actual skills and intimate knowledge of how to do items that would be of interest to forum members.
Keith Sherwin
Site Admin

Cut a Rubber Stamp

Postby Keith Sherwin » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:40 pm

As the design I was working with was not mine to share, I drew this up and recreated the situation.
It is pretty simple to cut a rubber stamp.
Just do a scan with an outside border & a cut border and that's it.

BUT, what about with two circles, where you want the circles to show? I had that situation posed to me the other day. Just like doing a pocket cut on a CNC.
Original Art.JPG

This had to be Mirrored, so click on menu [Draw] -> [Horizontal Mirror] did that.
Mirror Art.JPG

It was getting all the parts of the stamp to cut in "Relief" and have their little circles still be around them that was the trick.
So, It was two outer circles with lettering inside and another circle. I used the two inner circles that surounded the outer lettering. That got a scan with "Relief". That would work for the outer circle.
The edges of the circle did not get removed, nor did the letters. Just as desired.

But, there was another group of letters inside the original 3 circles.
This needed to be enclosed inside an extra circle by doing an "Offset" using the "Offset polygon" Icon.
This was done the same as the previous one as a scan with "Relief".
Final Art.JPG

Finally, the outer circle was cut through, and will be placed on a stamp holder.
RDWorksLab Stamp .JPG

This was cut on 1/8" hardboard as a test.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
69 Real (80)Watt Laser w/multi FL lenses. T.L.
Made 5 CNC's, Electronics, Electrical, PLC & Computer background.
:idea: Started this forum - Using RDWorks V8.01.21 on W7 Pro
Lead in creation of the RDWorksLab English Manual.
Crazy Uncle Keith!

Kev peterkin

Re: Cut a Rubber Stamp

Postby Kev peterkin » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:45 am

Hi there is there a guide on how to cut a basic rubber stamp, ive been using my 40 pos laser for a year and have just upgraded to a decent 60w system and rdworks. Im strugling to see how to engrave outside text to make the stamp. Any clues would be extremely welcomed.

Thanks and hello.

Kev.
60w Chinese Red & Black 700x500 (644XG)
chuck style rotary
running RdWorks 8.01.18
Windows 10

40w POS cheap n cheerful desktop laser (actually a great little engraver but sucks at cutting)
2w DIY usb powered micro laser kit, SLOWWWWWWWWWWWWW

sebastien laforet

Postby sebastien laforet » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:39 am

Kev peterkin wrote:Hi there is there a guide on how to cut a basic rubber stamp, ive been using my 40 pos laser for a year and have just upgraded to a decent 60w system and rdworks. Im strugling to see how to engrave outside text to make the stamp. Any clues would be extremely welcomed.

no idea for RDWorks, but this is pretty simple in inkscape.. just draw a circle, draw some text inside, invert the text horizontally, ungroup, convert text to path(ctrl+shift+c), select all glyphs and "union path" (ctrl+"+") for making only one shape, then select the circle and the text and remove from path (ctrl+"-") (you have to be careful of the order to remove the text from the circle, not the inverse)

you have now a shape whose inside is "filled" except where the text is.

then, export as dxf, import in RDworks, choose "scan" for the color, preview... should be ok.
Sébastien Laforet
machine : Bodor BCL-0605 (60x50) with 100W laser with TR origin.
Live in France
Primarily works laser for my wife (school teacher, so lots of boxes, letters, puzzles, ...) and miniature scenery (32mm scale : warmachine, infinity)

Keith Sherwin
Site Admin

Postby Keith Sherwin » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:00 am

Hi Kev & Welcome to our happy group.

I would have thought the first post would have given all the information needed.
Please, if you could tell me what was missing or needed more clarification, I'll try to make it better.
Thanks,
Keith
69 Real (80)Watt Laser w/multi FL lenses. T.L.
Made 5 CNC's, Electronics, Electrical, PLC & Computer background.
:idea: Started this forum - Using RDWorks V8.01.21 on W7 Pro
Lead in creation of the RDWorksLab English Manual.
Crazy Uncle Keith!

Kev peterkin

Postby Kev peterkin » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:42 am

Think its the scan with outside border i didnt get mate, maybe just missing domething obvious? Thanks
60w Chinese Red & Black 700x500 (644XG)
chuck style rotary
running RdWorks 8.01.18
Windows 10

40w POS cheap n cheerful desktop laser (actually a great little engraver but sucks at cutting)
2w DIY usb powered micro laser kit, SLOWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Return to “How To”