Keith Sherwin
Site Admin
Nickname: Keith
Laser Machine Make or Type: POS China
Laser Power: 80
Laser Bed Size: 400 x 600
Home Position: TL
RDWorks Version: V8.01.23
Accessories: Hot dog roller, doHICkey Power Meter, Multi-Lens, High power exhaust, Interior filter soon.
Windows Version: W7 Pro

Re: How do I know if I can upgrade?

Post by Keith Sherwin » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:43 pm

Generally, the Software can be upgraded.
I would keep the Disc that the original came on so it could be RE-loaded if required.
Then I would download from the Ruida Site - see http://en.rd-acs.com/down.aspx?TypeId=5 ... 4:50074:14 and I would select RDWorks—V8.01.18. It is my belief that RD CAM and RD Works are the same, as the manual references both.

Then install the latest version of RD Works V8.01.18. Please note it gets quite busy in the North American Evenings (Chinese Daytime) and it is best during N.A. Days or (China Nights) so if the D/L fails, try at a different time.
:idea: Started this forum.
Lead in creation of the RDWorksLab English Manual.
Cheers, :D
Keith

Doug Zimmer

Post by Doug Zimmer » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:45 pm

When I install RDWorks 8.01.18 I seem to be unable to save then reopen any .rld files. I can save the .rd files to flas drive and load them on the laser just fine, but I can't save the files in RDWorks itself to then work with again later. When I try to open an .rld file (yes, one saved from the very same 8.01.18 version) I get the error message "File format error!Please check file version".

If I reinstall the the version of the RDWorks that came with my laser (in my sig) I can save and open the files just fine. I see folks in this board using the newer version so I'm wondering what my issue is. This happens on multiple PCs (all W10 64-bit). Anyone else seen this issue?
--
Doug Zimmer
Chinese Laser 60W 700x500 (Redsail Clone)
RDWorks 8.01.18

Keith Sherwin
Site Admin
Accessories: Hot dog roller, doHICkey Power Meter, Multi-Lens, High power exhaust, Interior filter soon.

Post by Keith Sherwin » Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:44 pm

There may be a difference in file format between the 8.0.28 version and the V8.01.18. I've not tried any of the really old versions.
You might take your old files and export them as ai or plt files and then Version 8.01.18 should be able to import them.
Your saving issue may be due to not TOTALLY removing the old install. There was a version V8.01.16 I think that did not write files that could be read by any other version (not the same issue as yours). They fixed it in V8.01.18 and up. There MAY be an "Uninstall" file in the folder for your older version. If so, after you have exported the required files, you might try running it and then installing V8.01.18. I don't recall anyone not being able to save their RLD files, but did personally have the V8.01.16 issue & it took several uninstalls to get it working correctly.
Keith

Doug Zimmer

Post by Doug Zimmer » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:27 pm

Hi Keith, thanks for the quick reply. In reading your post then reading mine again, to clarify, when I install 8.01.18 I AM able to save the .rld files just fine. The problem is that I can't open them again without receiving the file format error. Very weird.

I will try again as I'd like to be on the newer software.
--
Doug Zimmer
RDWorks 8.01.18

Doug Fisher

Post by Doug Fisher » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:41 pm

When you uninstall the software, do you run a cleaner like Ccleaner? I find for some programs it is best to uninstall the program. Reboot. Run Ccleaner - particularly the second lower tab/section for cleaning the registry. Reboot. Only then do I do a reinstall.

There are three versions. The first standard version is free but they don't make it easiest to get to the free version and try to get you to do a download "free" trial of one of the paid versions. This appears to be the direct link to the free version:

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/standard

The program is free but you have to pay attention when you install. Like most free software, you have to uncheck the options in order to prevent it from changing your search provider or installing a toolbar. Easy to do if you just pay attention during each step of the install process.
80 Watt 700mm x 500mm Ke Hui KH-7050 Laser (Similar to the Red Sail),T.R.
LaSea/EFR F2 Series laser tube, RuiDa RDC6442G EC controller, 2" lens, RDWorks v8.01.18, CW 5000 chiller, Chuck type of rotary attachment
Doug

Doug Zimmer

Post by Doug Zimmer » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:59 pm

Thanks for the tip. I've actually used CCleaner for years (free version). It is just one of those tools that for me has always served me well. You got me thinking however about how I was doing the upgrade. I was just uninstalling the old version then installing the new version. This time I uninstalled, rebooted, ran CCleaner, then rebooted again. When installing the never version I also did it slightly different in that I checked the "Plug Corel" and "Locate Install Path" checkboxes to install the Corel plugin to my CorelDraw X7. It installed RDWorks in the Programs64 subfolder of the Corel folder. Long story short is that you should now notice my signature below shows a more current version of RDWorks!

Thanks again for your help.
--
Doug Zimmer
RDWorks 8.01.18

Keith Sherwin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Sherwin » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:13 pm

Doug, I hope it is 8.01.18 Not 8.0.18
Keith

Mark Franich

Post by Mark Franich » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:26 am

Hi. If you read carefully on the Ruida website the different versions of RD Works are for different controllers. That's why some will only work with version 7 and not 8.
Also RD Works 7 won't read RD WorKs 8 rld files.
Bodor 1060 100 watt
1000mm x 600mm
Top Right
Mark

Doug Zimmer

Post by Doug Zimmer » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:24 am

Keith Sherwin wrote:Doug, I hope it is 8.01.18 Not 8.0.18
Doh! Yes, good catch! Interestingly the problem returned this weekend. There must be some other root cause. Need to figure it out. I was using RDWorks to engrave some slate coasters. Saved what I was doing because I had just downloaded and installed a new font and needed to restart RDWorks for it to be able to see it. But when I tried to reopen what I had literally saved 30 seconds prior I got the error message. Frustrating.
--
Doug Zimmer
RDWorks 8.01.18

Doug Zimmer

Post by Doug Zimmer » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:18 am

Mark, it is interesting you mention that. I will go look because I can open the files I tested with after reinstalling everything. But when I open the file I'm having a problem with in something like Notepad++ out of curiosity, the beginning of the file starts with "RDFILEVER8.0.01" and the version that I am able to open shows "RDFILEVER7.0.01". Then, oddly enough another one I am able to open (from when I was reinstalling) shows "RDFILEVER8.0.01".

I've attached the file I'm having an issue with. Are you able to open it?

Thanks
Attachments
Hollander.rld
(261.44 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
--
Doug Zimmer
RDWorks 8.01.18