My laser broke - Is it my Tube or my Power Supply?

Frequently Asked Questions
Dustin Hawkinson

My laser broke - Is it my Tube or my Power Supply?

Post by Dustin Hawkinson » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:38 pm

It was suggested that I re-post this info from another thread of mine you can read here.

This method is potentially unsafe and I do not necessarily recommend using it, but here is the info. I was instructed by my vendor to use this method to check if my power supply was dead or not. Here is the email:
Dear customer

Thank you for your message.

The last step: here is a video: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byfi1- ... sp=sharing
Can you please remove the red wire and use the pliers to fix the wire and then use the screwdriver to presss the "pulse"to see if it release high tension electricity or not and take a video to me.

Please let us know if you need further assistance.
Happy new year!
Sincerely.
Linda

(I replaced the google drive link with my own in case they remove it)

Needless to say I was reticent to try this. After a couple minutes of thinking it over, I decided that if I took some precautions I could conduct the test "fairly safely" and the largest risk would be frying the power supply. I wasn't too worried about that because the seller would probably replace it if they caused me to fry it (maybe), and the design of the PSU itself seems like it could handle this type of shorting. Here is the video I made of me replicating the test:

https://youtu.be/cHJE3sCUwiU

This seems to indicate that my power supply is dead. Visit the original thread if you want to follow what happens with the vendor (they advertise a 3 year warranty and it has lasted 3 months).

***DO NOT
try this if you do not understand exactly what the situation is that you are causing and how to properly insulate yourself and anything else that could be damaged.
40W (ebay 50W blue wonder), 300mm x 500m, TL
Windows10 RDW 8.01.19
(The member formerly known as astral)
-Dustin