Jig for Marking Or Engraving Open Ended Yetis, cups, etc.

Discussion on what materials you laser cut or engrave
Doug Fisher

Jig for Marking Or Engraving Open Ended Yetis, cups, etc.

Post by Doug Fisher » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:07 pm

Sorry if this isn't the right sub-forum to place this but it was my best guess since it is about lasering a specific material/item.

If you are using one of the ebay 3 jaw rotary chuck-style attachments to mark or engrave a large quantity of wide open-ended vessels, it might be worth your time to make a jig like the one below that I made for a 20 ounce Yeti.

I just pop this jig on the open end of the tumbler. Then I place the base of the tumbler into the jaws of the rotary and then insert the other capped end down so that the rotary's cone's tip gets inserted into the hole in the center of the jig/cap (see red arrow in first picture). The 3 mm ridge around the edge of the jig holds the tumbler in place and centered. I made the prototype out of some scrap material so I had to make the parts in halves and then glue the four pieces together. The next time do one of these I will get a large enough piece of material so I can just cut parts out as a total of two single cut pieces.
Jig with Part Outlines.JPG
Jig with Part Outlines.JPG (107.93 KiB) Viewed 203 times
Jig Cap On.JPG
Jig Cap On.JPG (87.6 KiB) Viewed 203 times
80 Watt 700mm x 500mm Ke Hui KH-7050 Laser (Similar to the Red Sail),T.R.
LaSea/EFR F2 Series laser tube, RuiDa RDC6442G EC controller, 2" lens, RDWorks v8.01.18, CW 5000 chiller, Chuck type of rotary attachment
Doug

David J Fisher

Re: Jig for Marking Or Engraving Open Ended Yetis, cups, etc.

Post by David J Fisher » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:27 pm

Nice jig,

I made a similar one. I'm having the best luck removing the coatings from the fake yetis. I have tried cermarking the plain steel ones. Limited success, sometimes they come out ok and sometimes the marking washes off. Anyone want to share their Cermark secret setttings?
Redsail m900 90/100 Reci w2 TR
Dave

Doug Fisher

Post by Doug Fisher » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:53 pm

Do you wipe down the stainless steel with DNA (denatured alcohol) first before applying Cermark? Are you sure the steel doesn't have any protective coating on it? I am a total newbie at this but those are a few of the things in my prep notes that came up again and again in my research reading. Surface prep (and making sure it stays clean after you wipe it down with DNA) seems to be key.
80 Watt 700mm x 500mm Ke Hui KH-7050 Laser (Similar to the Red Sail),T.R.
LaSea/EFR F2 Series laser tube, RuiDa RDC6442G EC controller, 2" lens, RDWorks v8.01.18, CW 5000 chiller, Chuck type of rotary attachment
Doug

Pete Cyr
Laser Machine Make or Type: Boss 1630
Laser Power: 100w
Laser Bed Size: 16"x30"
Home Position: TR
RDWorks Version: v8.01.18
Windows Version: Win 7
Accessories: roller rotary attachment

Post by Pete Cyr » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:49 am

I use 35w at 175mm/sec and have good results on stainless steel with CERMARK - I clean the surface with lacquer thinner because it is handy in my shop
Location - VA
Equipment - Boss Laser 1630
Power - 100W
Laser Bed Size - 16" x 30"
Home Position - TR
Full RDWorks Version - v8.01.18
First name - Pete