Keith Sherwin
Site Admin
Nickname: Keith
Laser Machine Make or Type: POS China
Laser Power: 80
Laser Bed Size: 400 x 600
Home Position: TL
RDWorks Version: V8.01.23
Accessories: Hot dog roller, doHICkey Power Meter, Multi-Lens, High power exhaust, Interior filter soon.
Windows Version: W7 Pro

Simplify3D for 3D Printing ?

Post by Keith Sherwin » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:10 pm

:?: NOT LASER -
Just wondering if any of you folks that are 3D Printer users have tried "Simplify3D" vs the freebies. I'm thinking that at US$149, it had better be fantastic. Seems they don't offer a free trial.

As I am just getting into this (have not printed anything yet), would it be a good investment or would it be a REQUIRED Investment?
:idea: Started this forum Lead in creation of the RDWorksLab English Manual.
Cheers,
Keith

fred ungewitter
Nickname: fred
Laser Machine Make or Type: Redsail Clone
Laser Power: 60W
Laser Bed Size: 500 x 700
Home Position: TR
RDWorks Version: 8.01.18
Accessories: Chuck style rotary, 30 ma meter, home-spun office water cooler mod, muffin fan anti-condensate blower
Windows Version: Windows 7

Re: Simplify3D for 3D Printing ?

Post by fred ungewitter » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:35 pm

I'm using Simplify3D for my 3d printer currently in use and am hopeful that the one not yet assembled will work just as well. It has a level of control unparalleled by those programs I've used up to now. There are some features I wish were implemented in another manner, but those same features are not easily accessed (if at all) with most of the free software.

I understand that craftware is a good comparison to S3D:

https://craftunique.com/craftware

and it has received good reviews from YouTubers with far more experience than I.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USA29CuYOvk
Angus covers a number of the freebies and provides some good criticism. Part two of the video above is linked when you view part one.

I've been pretty happy with S3D and somewhat frustrated when trying to use other slicers on others' machines at the makerspace meeting, but one must recognize that when one is accustomed to a particular package, almost any other program can be frustrating. I suspect that craftware is likely to be less frustrating to me, as it has many features common to S3D.

Also, I cannot recall anyone who has purchased S3D saying that they dislike the program or that it was a waste of money. That doesn't mean it hasn't happened and depending on my memory is risky enough.
fred

Redsail clone 60w 700 x 500 REAL 60w Puri tube
home upper right, chuck type rotary 15000 pulse setting
RDW 8.01.18
Win7

Emblaser A3 4w diode laser
BCN3D Sigma Dual Extruder 3d printer
LMS Mini-mill
Cube 3rd gen 3d printer, universal filament mod
Under construction: OX CNC 1000x750 router

Keith Sherwin
Site Admin
Accessories: Hot dog roller, doHICkey Power Meter, Multi-Lens, High power exhaust, Interior filter soon.

Post by Keith Sherwin » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:18 pm

Thank you VERY MUCH Fred. Good comparison and thanks for the link to Craftware which I will try for the beginning as I am a total newbie at this. I had a lot of trouble with my GEEETech i3 - had to get replacement parts 3 times. Twice from the kit people and once from a decent supplier. Typical Chinese RANDOM Quality. Rods the wrong length, bearings not functional that sort of thing.
Cheers,
Keith

fred ungewitter
Accessories: Chuck style rotary, 30 ma meter, home-spun office water cooler mod, muffin fan anti-condensate blower

Post by fred ungewitter » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:26 pm

Yikes. It's a crap shoot when it comes to "off-brand" 3d printers. The "on-brand" ones are often much more expensive, but one must assign a dollar value to the level of frustration and run from there.
fred

RDW 8.01.18
Win7

LMS Mini-mill

Keith Sherwin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Sherwin » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:36 pm

Fred, I have determined that I gave a jam in the print head/nozzle.
Must clear that first.
When one is finished printing, what does one do with the filament?
Also, what is a good site for a NEWBIE?
Cheers,
Keith

fred ungewitter

Post by fred ungewitter » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:49 pm

it's important to keep your filament dry. The PLA chemistry likes to bond with water molecules and once bonded, they don't like to let go. I have a food dehydrator in my garage yet put to work, as it's a temperature controlled enclosure suitable for drying PLA and ABS and others at the recommended 125 deg F for a couple of hours. It's possible that one can simply pop the spool in a ziplock (tm) bag with some dessicant (do not eat) and hope for the best. I have a bit more utility, in the form of a food sealer device, which really sucks, the air out.

I really hate to recommend this but the most active and useful locations I've yet found (not that it's the best) is a Google plus forum.
https://plus.google.com/communities/117 ... 0552114108
My hesitation to recommend has to do with Google in general, but the moderators have recently implemented full moderation on early posts, effectively removing all the naked women from appearing.

Sometimes you'll get a jammed nozzle because of too much retraction. You can also get a jam from too high nozzle temperatures, which will degrade the filament into a resemblance of charcoal. I recently assisted one of our makerspace's members by removing his entire hot end and nozzle to discover that the filament had broken at the hot end entry, just after the extruder motor. An easy fix.

The people on the Google forum are all good 3d people, with some "big names" in the industry contributing now and then. Thomas Sanladerer is one name that comes to mind for good reviews on YouTube as well as useful advice.

I'll look for you should you appear in the group. Not so much insistence on real life names, but civility is the primary foundation. That's what makes it such a good group, almost as good as this one.
fred

RDW 8.01.18
Win7

LMS Mini-mill

Keith Sherwin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Sherwin » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:57 pm

So, being a newbie, I take it that one removes the filament from the machine - Guess that is where I went wrong.
I believe it is clogged. Where I live is mostly dessert with low humidity. But having said that, it is only low in the summer.
Cheers,
Keith

fred ungewitter

Post by fred ungewitter » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:09 pm

I hope the dessert is chocolate. Oh, desert, okay, never mind.

If left out for a week or more you might have humidity problems, but you can bake it in a toaster oven for the aforementioned period and temperature, just like some baked desert, I suppose. It's been said that one should use an oven that will not be used for food, but I found the easy answer was to not tell my wife.

Is the model you have a direct extruder drive or bowden tube type? The former has the motor mounted to the head assembly, while the latter has the motor elsewhere with a guide tube.
fred

RDW 8.01.18
Win7

LMS Mini-mill

Keith Sherwin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Sherwin » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:34 pm

Not Chocolate :D more like Banana Pineapple Chiffon! We are celebrating your Thanksgiving today. We were sick on ours and I was to go visit my brother & family in Utah but he is sick so we decided to stay home & have a full turkey meal - No pumpkin pie though.Gotta go get ready for our guests.
Hear a "High E" string is the right size to clear a nozzle.

It is the direct extruder drive similar to this.https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Wholesa ... e3b97b57b1
They gave me a rod like a long (5" or so) finishing nail that will not poke through. Probably too thick. I'm thinking I should find a wrench and take the brass nozzle at the bottom off.
Cheers,
Keith

fred ungewitter

Post by fred ungewitter » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:52 pm

I had another brain burp and realized that I had not suggested the StackExchange for 3d printing as a great source of answers.
http://3dprinting.stackexchange.com/

Watch out on your hot end, if you plan to remove the nozzle. It's usually a good idea to bring the assembly up to temperature, at least 200 deg C and handle with care, obviously. Dismantling the nozzle when cold can cause the threads to strip out. Some folks reassemble the parts with a thin coating of thermal paste commonly found in computer use.

You can't poke through a 0.40 mm nozzle unless you have music wire appropriately sized (US $0.80 locally) or a specialized 0.40 mm nozzle cleaning drill. If you haven't yet dismantled the cooling fan, that should be first on the list. I don't care for the grooved pulley opposite the hobbed drive gear, but in a direct drive installation, it might not be a problem.

Once you have the fan out of the way, you can tell if it's a break right out of the drive mechanism or if the problem truly resides inside the hot-end portion. If you have to remove the nozzle/hot-end assembly, you might be able to pull it free from the drive mechanism, but note how far into the drive housing that the heat break extends. The heat break is the threaded rod portion between the drive housing and the nozzle heater block.

When putting the heat break back into the drive housing, one desires to get the opening as close as possible to the drive gear. This allows flexible filament to be pushed directly to the hot end and reduces the out-of-column failures. The fellow I assisted at the last meeting had had an out-of-column failure followed by a break. Newly pushed filament went nowhere or would try to divert out the side.

The Banana Pineapple Chiffon sounds pretty good. Unfortunately, I have to watch my girlish figure. No, that's not it at all.
fred

RDW 8.01.18
Win7

LMS Mini-mill