engraving using adobe Illustrator to design graphic

A place to discuss other software like PhotoGrav, A-Cad, Aspire, PhotoShop, Vextractor and Corel to name a few.
Kev peterkin

engraving using adobe Illustrator to design graphic

Post by Kev peterkin » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:15 pm

Hi all

I use Adobe illustrator for most of my design work and find it imports great into rdworks, however when I make a solid shape in illustrator and import it into rdworks it will only engrave the stroke/outline of the graphic, I get round this by exporting the graphic as a bmp at the mo but that has big limitations. What am i missing here?

Any ideas?

Cheers

Kev.
60w Chinese Red & Black 700x500 (644XG)
chuck style rotary
running RdWorks 8.01.18
Windows 10

40w POS cheap n cheerful desktop laser (actually a great little engraver but sucks at cutting)
2w DIY usb powered micro laser kit, SLOWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Michael Dunning

Re: engraving using adobe Illustrator to design graphic

Post by Michael Dunning » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:01 pm

If you have a closed shape that you want to engrave, you need to change your Layer Parameter from "cut" to "scan" in RDworks. That should engrave the inside of the shape. Unless you mean that you are getting some kind of "picture frame" effect? Can you post some screenshots?
EBay Chinese 60W (45W actual) laser cutter, 700x500mm, (TR)
RDWorks V8.01.18 and V8.00.27
Michael

Don Chatwin

Post by Don Chatwin » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:59 pm

Kev

I use illustrator for pretty much all of my design work as well, what I've found is RD Works only seeks the trokes and the stroke colors.

If you select your closed shapes in Illustrator and give them a stroke of 0.25 and set the color to something other than Black like CMYK Red or CMYK Yellow when you import the file into RDWorks it will automatically assign those colors to a different Layer.

What I've not figured out yet is how to get the color values to all the layer colors in RDWorks, I know CMYK Red, CMYK Yellow, CMYK Blue, and CMYK Green works which is counter intuitive since RDWorks is only suppose to recognize RGB colors lol.

Don
Don
Redsail X700 60W
Ruda RDC6442G
CW-5000DG
RDWorks V8.01.19
Home Position TR
Maple Ridge, BC Canada

Kev peterkin

Post by Kev peterkin » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:23 am

Hi guys, cheers for the replies, pretty much echoes what im already doing anyway.

The behaviour im on about is if i create a square in illustrator, no fill, 0.25 stroke. Then place some text inside the square, convert the text to outlines so the font comes accross to rdworks correctly. Save this as an ai file.

Into rdworks and import the ai file. And set is as a scan/engrave. I'd expect the square to just engrave the outline stroke and then engrave the text.

What i actually get is the whole square engraves inside leaving the text ie engraves out the background ....

I get round this by just placing the text in the ai file and then drawing the square around in it rdworks. Not ideal but this gives me the engraved square frame and engraved text im after.

Any ideas? Ideally id like to design the while thing in illustrator as i do some fairly complex drawings.
60w Chinese Red & Black 700x500 (644XG)
chuck style rotary
running RdWorks 8.01.18
Windows 10

40w POS cheap n cheerful desktop laser (actually a great little engraver but sucks at cutting)
2w DIY usb powered micro laser kit, SLOWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Pete Cyr
Laser Machine Make or Type: Boss 1630
Laser Power: 100w
Laser Bed Size: 16"x30"
Home Position: TR
RDWorks Version: v8.01.18
Accessories: roller rotary attachment
Windows Version: Win 7

Post by Pete Cyr » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:53 am

When you import your file, containing the square with text inside, in RDWORKS select the square and put it on a different layer and assign that layer to cut....now group your text and set the layer it is on to engrave.
Location - VA
Equipment - Boss Laser 1630
Power - 100W
Laser Bed Size - 16" x 30"
Home Position - TR
Full RDWorks Version - v8.01.18
First name - Pete

Leonard Lewis

Post by Leonard Lewis » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:10 pm

You Nailed it Pete, that is what I do too. I use Illustrator CC 2017. When I save the .ai file, I do so with compatibility of CS5, NOT creating a compatible PDF format. All my designs import without hassle into RDWorks v8.1.22. I don't sit too comfy using Windows and built myself a Hackintosh OSX Sierra 10.12.3 (I have had many ups and downs in loosing data due to power failures, and viruses...not that mac is entirely virus free but it is alot harder to wipe a drive in Mac), so I successfully ported RDWorks using Wine 2.0 into mac. I tweaked my laser machine to be wireless for a fraction of the cost by simply connecting a wireless extender to the LAN cable. Now I can design, export and wirelessly transmit the artwork to the laser machine located in my garage. I was pleasantly surprised to find that RDWorks runs incredibly stable with connectivity issues at all. In Windows I struggled to see the laser machine on the network and I always had to restart RDWorks if it was in idle mode for longer than 5 mins.

I really wanted a chiller too, but after abit of research and a hell of alot of savings, I built a chiller using a temp regulator, old pc cpu heatsink and a Peltier chip. I can now keep my laser at a constant 17 deg celcius. (Or which ever temp I prefer in winter/summer to prevent condensation.

Now why did I tell you this whole story again...there was a point...but I seem to have lost it!
Controller Model No: 644XS - 100 Watt Co2 Laser DIY WiFi Network Connectivity
900mm X 600mm - Top Right Home.
Software: CorelDRAW X8 with plugin for RDWorks V8.01.21 (LaserWorking) on Win 10 Pro through Virtual Machine on macOS Sierra 10.12.1
Designing art and personalized memorabilia etc.

Leonard