Russ' Mirror Tool?

Hardware settings, adjustments and fixes and other hardware discussion. This includes the "doHICky" Laser Power measurement system by Russ.
Michael Dunning

Russ' Mirror Tool?

Postby Michael Dunning » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:14 pm

I noticed in Learning Lab 79 Pt 2 (12m38s) that Russ has a cylinder-shaped wrench to remove mirrors. Does anyone know where to get one of those?!? My searches on Ebay and Amazon have been fruitless.
EBay Chinese 60W (45W actual) laser cutter, 700x500mm, (TR)
RDWorks V8.01.18 and V8.00.27
Michael

Dustin Hawkinson

Re: Russ' Mirror Tool?

Postby Dustin Hawkinson » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:44 pm

I wondered the same thing. I've been meaning to email Russ about it, I might as well shoot him an email now.
40W (ebay 50W blue wonder), 300mm x 500m, TL
Windows10 RDW 8.01.19
(The member formerly known as astral)
-Dustin

fred ungewitter

Postby fred ungewitter » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:40 pm

I became so tired of stuffing needle nose pliers into the holes that I 3D printed plastic threaded mirror retainers and removed the existing ones. Now it's finger tight and finger-release, although sometimes it seems that it snugs up just a bit more.

Of course, I also have a hobby-grade mini-mill and could have created a tool from some of the scrap stock, but I didn't think of it until now!

IMG_3239.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fred

Redsail clone 60w 700 x 500
home upper right
RDWorks 8.01.18
Windows 7

Emblaser A3 4w diode laser
BCN3D Sigma Dual Extruder 3d printer
LMS Mini-mill
Cube 3rd gen 3d printer (works great, for sale)
Under construction: OX CNC 1000x750 router - out of the box, still in baggies!

Doug Fisher

Postby Doug Fisher » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:24 pm

Nice fabrication, Fred.
80 Watt 700mm x 500mm Ke Hui KH-7050 Laser (Similar to the Red Sail),T.R.
LaSea/EFR F2 Series laser tube, RuiDa RDC6442G EC controller, 2" lens, RDWorks v8.01.18, CW 5000 chiller, Chuck type of rotary attachment
Doug

fred ungewitter

Postby fred ungewitter » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:39 pm

Thanks, Doug. All these little doo-dads and add-ons I've installed and I don't have enough time to get productive with the machine yet!
fred

home upper right
RDWorks 8.01.18
Windows 7

LMS Mini-mill

Doug Fisher

Postby Doug Fisher » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:53 pm

Yes, I am envious of people who have the time and energy to really explore the capabilities of their laser outside of work related tasks.
80 Watt 700mm x 500mm Ke Hui KH-7050 Laser (Similar to the Red Sail),T.R.
LaSea/EFR F2 Series laser tube, RuiDa RDC6442G EC controller, 2" lens, RDWorks v8.01.18, CW 5000 chiller, Chuck type of rotary attachment
Doug

Michael Dunning

Postby Michael Dunning » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:51 pm

I've got some scrap 5mm acrylic (never did make the V2 laser pointer) left over. My thought was to cut 15 discs out with appropriate holes for coat hangar wire or rod stock, and then glue it all together. Might give that a go this weekend.

fred ungewitter wrote:I became so tired of stuffing needle nose pliers into the holes that I 3D printed plastic threaded mirror retainers and removed the existing ones. Now it's finger tight and finger-release, although sometimes it seems that it snugs up just a bit more.

Of course, I also have a hobby-grade mini-mill and could have created a tool from some of the scrap stock, but I didn't think of it until now!

IMG_3239.JPG

Definitely dig your solution Fred! And it looks like we have the same machine. Would you consider 3D printing one I could cast in resin, or sharing the .stl file?
EBay Chinese 60W (45W actual) laser cutter, 700x500mm, (TR)
RDWorks V8.01.18 and V8.00.27
Michael

Dustin Hawkinson

Postby Dustin Hawkinson » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:24 pm

Fred that is awesome. Could you share a file of it?

Here is the response I got from Russ:

Hi Dustin
Yes it is something I made in a hurry one day but I keep meaning to redesign it properly from bits of 5mm acrylic which anyone can make for themselves without the aid of a lathe I'll sort a picture out in the next couple of days and send it to you
Best regards

Russ

Probably something similar to what you are talking about Michael.
40W (ebay 50W blue wonder), 300mm x 500m, TL
Windows10 RDW 8.01.19
(The member formerly known as astral)
-Dustin

fred ungewitter

Postby fred ungewitter » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:53 am

I've attached the .STL file I used to create the plugs. The model is based on the 20mm ID of the mirror holders for the redsail clone, but there's a serious caveat involved.

I created this model in OpenSCAD, a text / script based modeling program. It's great for parametric modeling, especially when one needs to rapidly change parameters.

I printed a number of models in the process of getting one to fit properly. My 3d printer is not calibrated in any manner, therefore the models one might print on one's printer may be off a bit.

Included in the zip file is the .STL, the .SCAD file that created the .STL as well as the .SCAD file library for the threads. I usually write the code so the parameters are assigned to ordinary terms, such as plug_diameter, thread_pitch, etc., but this time I was sloppy and simply plugged in the numbers. This may make things a bit more difficult for someone uncomfortable with text based modeling software and specifically for OpenSCAD.

OpenSCAD is really quite easy to understand and I'm willing to work with anyone who wants to customize this particular file to fit his machine.

Also if someone would prefer for me to print plugs for them, I can do so at far better prices than any of the online 3d print services. I would, however, require that we work together to ensure correct fit. That would involve sending you a stubby threaded portion for testing the thread fit and diameter. I won't print off a trio of plugs only to find one parameter was a half a millimeter too big!

Print settings should be 100 microns, infill at 25 percent, no supports needed.
plug.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fred

home upper right
RDWorks 8.01.18
Windows 7

LMS Mini-mill

fred ungewitter

Postby fred ungewitter » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:57 am

Michael Dunning wrote:I've got some scrap 5mm acrylic (never did make the V2 laser pointer) left over. My thought was to cut 15 discs out with appropriate holes for coat hangar wire or rod stock, and then glue it all together. Might give that a go this weekend.

Definitely dig your solution Fred! And it looks like we have the same machine. Would you consider 3D printing one I could cast in resin, or sharing the .stl file?

I've tossed up the STL file in the zip bundle. Interesting idea to cast the part in resin. You wouldn't need the center hole and the complications that would cause in casting. I think I put the hole in there to save on filament use, although it's not a particularly large item. I may have also done so to speed up the printing duration.

Now that you have the STL file, how would you use it to create a resin version? I'd guess you have a 3d printer of your own?
fred

home upper right
RDWorks 8.01.18
Windows 7

LMS Mini-mill

Return to “General Hardware”