Upgrade Woes - RDC6442g-b(ec), RECI W2 and MCWlaser cl-dy13

Hardware settings, adjustments and fixes and other hardware discussion. This includes the "doHICky" Laser Power measurement system by Russ.
Ken Bonser
Nickname: Ken
Laser Machine Make or Type: SH-G350
Laser Power: 90-100W
Laser Bed Size: 12" x 20"
Home Position: TL
Control Software: RDWORKS
RDWorks Version: v8.01.48-2020-0417
Ruida Controller: RDC6442
Accessories: RECI W2 CO2 Tube
MCW Laser - DY13 Power supply
Windows Version: 10

Upgrade Woes - RDC6442g-b(ec), RECI W2 and MCWlaser cl-dy13

Post by Ken Bonser »

I'm hoping someone can give me a little guidance. My old tube was giving up the ghost and I had planned for this. It was a 50W tube and decided to for better performance. Yesterday became the day so I used the last gasps of the old tube and cut out some new tube clamps for the 80mm tube for the upgrade the RECI W2 tube requires a bigger power supply so I got a MCWlaser cl-dy13 to pair with it. So basically a new setup

I got it all plumbed up and it seemed that the control side connector would plug in and work. This was not true because the laser was on solid. So I did some more careful observation and noticed that the control wires were slightly different. I got the issue kind of resolved but now the laser is staying partially on during jobs. It is like it is still on at a few ma of power when it moves between parts. When the job is done or at power on, the laser is off as expected but as soon as it starts to move, it makes a little drag mark to the beginning of the first part and between every single new cut. I just put a ma meter on it before I decided to call it for the evening. So I don't have actual current readings for those drag marks.

If anyone has any pointers for wiring and controller settings that I may be missing, I would really appreciate it.
Johnny Smith
Nickname: John
Laser Machine Make or Type: Chinese Red/Black
Laser Power: 100W
Laser Bed Size: 700x500
Home Position: TR
Control Software: LIGHTBURN
RDWorks Version: V8.01.67
Accessories: RECI W2 100W Tube
DY13 Power Supply
ARLEC PA1206HA Portable AirCon as water chiller

Re: Upgrade Woes - RDC6442g-b(ec), RECI W2 and MCWlaser cl-dy13

Post by Johnny Smith »

Hi Ken, I feel your pain. Here's my post regarding my upgrade from 60W to 100W. Looks like yours will be very similar based on what I read. Perhaps it will help...viewtopic.php?f=125&t=5981
Ken Bonser
Nickname: Ken
Laser Machine Make or Type: SH-G350
Laser Power: 90-100W
Laser Bed Size: 12" x 20"
Home Position: TL
Control Software: RDWORKS
RDWorks Version: v8.01.48-2020-0417
Accessories: RECI W2 CO2 Tube
MCW Laser - DY13 Power supply

Post by Ken Bonser »

I finally figured this out last week. It just took a little bit of starring at wiring diagrams and the different connections of the power supplies.

In the attachments, the one with the glue on it is the for the old Cloud Ray power supply and the one without the glue is for the new 100W MCW power supply. Basically, all the wires moved one position to the right. Simple in the end but very frustrating in the beginning.

Now everything works as is should.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gene Uselman
Nickname: Gene
Laser Machine Make or Type: AKL1318-2
Laser Power: 130W & 80W Reci
Laser Bed Size: 51 x 71
Home Position: TR
Control Software: LIGHTBURN
RDWorks Version: RDw .19 & Lightburn
Ruida Controller: RDC6445
Accessories: I have a combining lenses, pin tables [homebuilt], honeycomb tables , wireless remote, Modifed Ultimate Air Assist, home built non-powered rotary device, Prusa i3 MK3S and Mini Prusa printers.
Windows Version: Win 10 Pro

Post by Gene Uselman »

Ken- first thing I would do is a beam test out of the tube. I have three new Reci tubes which have badly shaped beams [often hollow in the middle of the beam- this can happen at very low power when the laser is not firing fully]. Test at full power and be careful- if using something combustable have an air source at hand to blow out the flames. If bad you will want pictures of the beam and to report it quickly. good luck to you. Gene
If the Help and advice you received here was of VALUE...
Please consider making a donation to maintain the RDWORKSLAB Forum.

BT48 Alpha Shopbot and 1300x1800 130W Laser

The days that I keep my gratitude higher than
my expectations, Well, I have really good days.

Ray Wylie Hubbard

Return to “General Hardware”