Slimy bastidges, with apologies to J. Dangerously.

If you have made Upgrades and/or Modifications to your machine, let us know about them here.
Hans Nieborg

Re: Slimy bastidges, with apologies to J. Dangerously.

Postby Hans Nieborg » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:06 pm

Ionized water is corrosive to metals, as it contains sodium or chlorine ions that create an electrolytic solution which aids in the transfer of ions between the differing nobility of metals. The liquid-cooled systems I worked with in high power electrical controllers had to have de-ionized water for coolant.

We had one customer recharge the coolant of a 4kV, 6000HP VFD using a water hose and regular chlorinated drinking water. It took about a month for it to 'rust' out inside and corrode a hole in the water jacket that sprayed the VFD with this water. Ka-Boom! That made the 10MVA feeder transformer jump off the ground, breaking its pad mounts.
Ke Hui 7050, 60W (53W Real), 70x50cm, 2" FL Only, 6442G Controller, RDWorks V8.01.19, Refrigerated Chiller, In-Home Install, Home = TR.
Retired Design Engineer For High Power Motor Controllers. Now, I Make Items For Geocachers & The Cons (MegaCon, MetraCon, ComicCon, etc).
Hans

Michael Dunning

Postby Michael Dunning » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:15 pm

Salt is going to have the same problems then...
Distilled white vinegar, maybe?
EBay Chinese 60W (45W actual) laser cutter, 700x500mm, (TR)
RDWorks V8.01.18 and V8.00.27
Michael

Doug Fisher

Postby Doug Fisher » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:44 pm

Someone on another forum suggested placing a few old real silver coins with high true silver content in the reservoir. It is the only suggestion I can remember that didn't have negative comments. I haven't tried it because I am not familiar with the internals of the chiller's reservoir and I want to make sure I wouldn't put it in a position that would restrict the pump intake.
80 Watt 700mm x 500mm Ke Hui KH-7050 Laser (Similar to the Red Sail),T.R.
LaSea/EFR F2 Series laser tube, RuiDa RDC6442G EC controller, 2" lens, RDWorks v8.01.18, CW 5000 chiller, Chuck type of rotary attachment
Doug

Malcolm Ferrie

Postby Malcolm Ferrie » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:08 pm

I mentioned the silver coins in your tank a few months ago, Please google silver water and watch a few clips.
Malcolm Ferrie
North East Scotland
2 x 50 x 30 50w Lasers (TL)
1 x 70 x 50 60w Laser (TR)
1 x Mini 0.5w Laser (Anywhere)
1 x 50 x 30 water cooled cnc (BL)
Corel Draw 12 & x7, Artcam, Cut 2D, PhotoGrav
If I can't make it myself, I don't need it.

fred ungewitter

Postby fred ungewitter » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:16 pm

From what I can determine from my current research, the power level and more important, the wavelength of these aquarium UV sanitizing lamps are of insufficient power and incorrect frequency to generate ionized water. That's encouraging for this project. The lamp arrived yesterday, much larger than I expected, a bit shorter than one meter long, with inlet/outlet ports larger than my tubing. All that means is a pair of tubing couplers to adapt to the smaller stuff.
fred

Redsail clone 60w 700 x 500
home upper right
RDWorks 8.01.18
Windows 7

Emblaser A3 4w diode laser
BCN3D Sigma Dual Extruder 3d printer
LMS Mini-mill
Cube 3rd gen 3d printer (works great, for sale)
Under construction: OX CNC 1000x750 router - out of the box, still in baggies!

Return to “Upgrades and Modifications”