So install is really pretty easy. The issues I ran into were as follows. I thought the steppers on my machine were nema 21. They were not. I had enough meat left on the mounting brackets to make it work. The pulleys were the biggest headache. I bought one pulley from BBQ driver. At the time there were no others in the country. I've got backups now. Tecnic says in the manual not to use a set screw to secure a pulley. Mine came with 3/8" shaft with a featherd keyway. They did not come with keys. So I reused the original pulleys, bored them out, and had key ways broached in.
This is all from a few weeks back, there have been some pretty wild Phish shows between then and now so don't quote me on any measurements. But if I were you I'd be looking to find a friend with a set of small key way broaches. I broached mine at .100" and then fitted it with a needle file. I remember that the .125" key way was too big. So that worked well for me.
I made the keys on my cnc out of aluminum. Probably not the best key stock, but good enough. I wanted really nice tight fitting keys. I then put a set screw to hit the key. This is partly why I didn't use the BBQ Driver pulleys. While its nice that there are multiple set screws that do not interfere with the toothed pulley, it didn't work out for me. Your mileage will vary here, but keep in mind the location of the key on the shaft in relation to the motor mount, and where the pulley needs to live. In my case, I couldn't get a setscrew to hit the key, with out drilling into the teeth of the pulley. The one thing the manual said explicitly not to do was mount a pulley or gear with only a setscrew. I figured since they were being such a great company with their warranty etc, that I should at least mount the pulley per their instructions.
Also, your drag chain will probably need an update. Again, I'm sure this varies greatly machine to machine, but on mine the drag chain was a generic non gated Chinese one. I took some snips and cut it away link by link. I then replaced it with a bigger, gated, Igus chain. On my machine the 24" chain fit perfectly. Just don't forget to buy the ends of the chain. Having a gated chain makes life so much easier and you pretty much have to have it. On the POS leadshine servos ( I can't say POS enough times) we cut the com cable and resolderd the 13 leads to the connector. Not fun. What I'm saying is that their is a good chance the cable won't fit through your existing chain with out cutting the connector off. Its worth the time and effort to replace the chain imo.
Tuning these things is amazing. You connect the motor via usb, download the software, configure the extents of the motion, and basically press next. 5 - 10 minutes later its done. Be sure to view the scope via the app, during the auto tuning. Its really fun to watch the thing tune its self in. Especially after wasting weeks with other servos. Check your belt tension before and after tunning. It knocked my x belt loose the first time. I'm running the drive belt from the servo to the pulley really tight. Cut some circles, you'll know when you have it tight enough.
I'm still testing, but so far all has been really good. I've been doing tons of lasermax plastic work, so its not exactly ideal to judge performance. They seem to play fine together. All the problems I had that I thought could be attributed to the compound motion turned out to just be slack belts. Which brings about the importance of the keying the pulley. I didn't key in the leadshine motors, and they slipped and racked. That really sucks. I was rastering a telecaster when I had a pulley a pulley slip. It amounted to the set screw moving from either side of the flat on the shaft post direction change. The tecnics don't have flats. I'm pretty sure this is because they really want people to key these in. They have a lott of torque.
Let me know what you figure out. I only have time to check in on this forum about twice a week, so if you have any questions feel free to PM or email me directly
-Dave (off to have a weekend)
Redsail m900 90/100 Reci w2 TR