Who's running servos?

If you have made Upgrades and/or Modifications to your machine, let us know about them here.
Abraham Saenz

Re: Who's running servos?

Postby Abraham Saenz » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:50 pm

Thanks a lot for the review. Do you have any videos of your machine working?

The pulleys is actually what worries me the most about upgrading to servos. As the ClearPath servos I like have an all american imperial sized shaft while I need metric spaced pitch on the pulleys I'm having a hard time finding finding the part.

What about your belts and bearings?, I think the backlash at high speed can be mitigated with a better drive system as well as reducing the gantry and laser head weight.

If you look at high speed laser cutters like Trotec's or Epilog's, the first thing to notice is just how small the laser head is compared to chinease machines, the gantry and belts are very small too, this may be to reduce inertia.
Acctek AKJ6040+Clearpath Servos+90W EFR laser tube, 1.5 inch lens, polyurethane belts, Boeshield T-9 Lub :)

David J Fisher

Postby David J Fisher » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:47 pm

Abraham,

You nailed it. I'm having some backlash issues, but I'm still tuning in the servos. I'm having a problem getting some of my pid settings to write out to the drive. Its deff operator error, and am waiting to hear back from leadshine. I think I'll be able to get it all tuned / compensated out. I think one of the issues is that epilog etc use linear encoders. On these servos the encoder is on the motor. So basically what ever backlash in the pulley/belts has to be comped out. I'll figure out it soon and have videos up. I'm at about 85 percent right now. The next upgrade will be to the laser head / belts / bearings / trying to lighten the load up.
Redsail m900 90/100 Reci w2 TR
Dave

David J Fisher

Postby David J Fisher » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:43 pm

WARNING DON'T buy leadshine servos. They will not support their product. There support line is a guy name Chris. All he will do is hang up on you and then curse you out when you call him back. Unreal. So back to the drawing board. Never have I received such poor service. Wow scratch everything I said about this company. I wish I spoke Chinese so that I could tell the people running it about my experience. Buyer beware.

Now off to rip these POS out of my machine...time for plan b. sigh.
Dave

Gene Uselman

Postby Gene Uselman » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:44 pm

I have Leadshine 3 phase steppers and drivers and I am absolutely astounded by the precision that they have. I don't have any experience with servos other than wide format printers with linear encoders and they can be troublesome as well. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=62
Gene- 130W 1300x900 China Laser with 2" FL lens
V8.01.19 RDWorks on Win 7 pro
500mm Z, blade table machine home is upper right.

Bodor BCL0605MU w/100w Reci- gone but fondly remembered :D

Vectric Aspire software- FlexiSignPro- vector/bitmap

David J Fisher

Postby David J Fisher » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:08 pm

Yeah. The positioning error was just way too high with the leadshines. Here is what I could never figure out: It would raster ok. Half inch of backlash, but it could be comped and it looked ok. Most of my initial test were rasters. It wasn't until I attempted to cut circles that I realized I had a big problem. Compound motion was totally unacceptable. Leadshine was completely useless for support. I thought oh great they have a US number. The guy that answered the phone hung up on me, and when I called back he cussed me out over the phone. So yeah I wouldn't spend a dime on their product...ever again.

Teknic on the other hand (clearpath servo's) has been top notch from the first phone call. Totally professional, great people. They have a 90 day guarantee on their product and the support it! New servo's arriving tomorrow. Expect an update midweekend. Two of the highest torque stepper killer in nema 23 with power supply, needed cables, and 2 day shipping was $1156.00 If the auto tune function works as good as advertised its worth every penny.

If not I am sending them back, admitting defeat and buying replacement steppers for the ones I destroyed.

Here we go again. Fingers crossed.

edit* also the new cable drag chain is here. Latching IGUS chain. We will not be cutting 14 conductor servo wire and re-soldering connectors again. The plan is to cut the old chinese POS drag chain off.
Dave

Abraham Saenz

Postby Abraham Saenz » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:47 pm

Eagerly waiting for the update mate. After a couple of weeks of savings I had the money to buy the clearpaths but my car's steering column needed replacement (ironically, a servo motor failure) so I had to replace it and on top of that almost all of the drive train including wheels to prevent vibrations and further damage.

I also looked at the highest torque that would still fit my machine.

I made this very simple file to do the initial set up of my motors when I screw things up

stepadjust.xlsx
(9.56 KiB) Downloaded 9 times

Ross explains in detail how to setup the microstepping on the vendor settings page here

https://youtu.be/Y-tva0CSJao?t=6m16s
Acctek AKJ6040+Clearpath Servos+90W EFR laser tube, 1.5 inch lens, polyurethane belts, Boeshield T-9 Lub :)

David J Fisher

Postby David J Fisher » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:14 pm

Expect a real review / update / first impressions in the coming days. I got the motors on Friday. Heads up. The nema 23 are 3/8" shaft diameter and they have a feathered key way on the shaft. The manual clearly states that set screws alone should not be used. So back to messing with pulleys. I bored out the pulleys no problem. I made keys on the cnc. I tried and failed to make a keyway broach for the pulleys. Machine shop knocked it out for 5 bucks. About to start testing. Will be back in a couple of days.
Dave

Abraham Saenz

Postby Abraham Saenz » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:31 pm

Good luck mate. Although I'm happy with the performance of my Stepper-Driver combination, I can't help feeling a bit of envy when I see how fast and smooth servo equiped machines such as trotecs and epilogs behave.

In case you have questions about the "enable" signal, this is what Teknic replied to me

Hi Abraham- For safety reasons, it is not possible to by pass the enable because this is what allows the motor coils to be energized and de-energized at will. Without enabling the motor, you will not be able to command ClearPath to move. However, the enable doesn't have to be connected to your controller. You can wire the enable up to a simple switch. You can enable and disable the motor through a mechanical switch and when the motor is enabled, send commands to the other inputs through your controller. Just be sure that the switch is rater for 5-24VDC logic power.

Good luck

Abraham Saenz

Postby Abraham Saenz » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:04 am

Well, could not hold it anymore :D

I already ordered the CPM-SDSK-2321S-EQN for the Y axis and CPM-SDSK-2310S-EQN for the X axis. Both 1/4 inch shaft thanks to your advice. I also bought this kid https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017T ... UTF8&psc=1 of 5 pulleys (1/4 inch bore, HDT 24T 3M) and 3 meters of PU/Steel belt that I intend to use to replace my X axis belt, which is in great working condition but the new belt should reduce the backlash and allow for greater speeds.
Bought cables but not the power supply, I want to wait and see if my 10A 48V power supply can drive these more efficient (than the steppers) motors, plus, I still need to drive my Z axis and the Teknic power supply only comes with two outputs.

Doing my research saw you posted to CNC zone in regards to the motors? how did everything go after the issues?

David J Fisher

Postby David J Fisher » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:38 am

After the fiasco with leadshine things are good. Chris at leadshine is as low as they go. I wouldn't recommend their product to my worst enemy. Pure Chinese junk. See cnczone for details. But the ClearPath servos are the bees knees. Tecnic was awesome to deal with, stellar product, top notch all around.

Be careful buying pulleys from BBQ driver on amazon. The listing states that you can specify Pulley bore. He sent me the wrong one. Then refuses to answer questions etc.

I've been doing a lot of plastic lasermax work making tags lately. Machine is doing well.

I'm running the ipc5 supply and just left the steppers on the bed.

You are gonna love the clear path servos
Dave

Return to “Upgrades and Modifications”