Nickname: Gene
Laser Machine Make or Type: AKL1318-2
Laser Power: 130W & 80W Reci
Laser Bed Size: 51 x 71
Home Position: TR
Control Software: LIGHTBURN
RDWorks Version: RDw .19 & Lightburn
Ruida Controller: RDC6445
Accessories: I have a combining lenses, pin tables [homebuilt], honeycomb tables , wireless remote, Modifed Ultimate Air Assist, home built non-powered rotary device, Prusa i3 MK3S and Mini Prusa printers.
Windows Version: Win 10 Pro

Re: LTT ILS-3 Retrofit

Post by Gene Uselman »

Ahhh- thanks, I thought I had finally drifted over the edge.
If the Help and advice you received here was of VALUE...
Please consider making a donation to maintain the RDWORKSLAB Forum.

BT48 Alpha Shopbot and 1300x1800 130W Laser

The days that I keep my gratitude higher than
my expectations, Well, I have really good days.

Ray Wylie Hubbard
James Neiheisel
Laser Machine Make or Type: Modified Accuris Powersharp, K40
Laser Power: 55W
Laser Bed Size: 24"x20"
RDWorks Version: v8.01.18
Windows Version: Win 10

Post by James Neiheisel »

Gene,
Thanks for the suggestion on the labeler I ended up picking up the PT-E105. Which appears to be similar to what you recommended but also specific for cable wrapping. It was like $39 at Home Depot. Worked pretty well.

Panel is pretty much done and installed. Had an unfortunate mishap where I got a bit to excited and soldered the header connector for my limit switch backward. Ended up reverse powering the x-axis limit switch and blew out the Omron optical end stop….🤷🏻‍♂️

Y-axis still works and is homing. Have to order a replacement for the x.

Have to design some tube mounts next, I don’t like the ones I ordered from cloud ray, at least not for mounting them sideways…
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
James Neiheisel

Over-Engineered Tube Mounts

While waiting on a replacement optical end switch to arrive, I started working on tube mounting.

The Machine was originally equipped with an air cooled rf tube. So I have to come up with a mounting solution.
When I bought the Cloudray glass tube for it, I also bought a set of their adjustable tube mounts. I don't really like the mounts, especially since I'm going to be mounting these to a vertical plate.

The plate for mounting the tube has a large selection of machined dowel pin, and threaded screw holes. So i selected a few to use for each mount, measure their location to each other and relative location to center-line of the tube and modeled a simple block shaped mount.

For not much reasoning besides wanting to try it, and thinking it looked cool, I meshed the part in FEA, added constraints and loading conditions, and let the analysis run.

After I had results from the FEA, I ran that through topology optimization, which removes any material that isn't necessary for supporting the load conditions and leaves a part that looks like some kind of alien skeleton.

After that its as simple as outputting the optimized mesh, saving it as an STL, slicing and printing...

The results are what may be the worlds most over-engineered laser tube mounts, that mostly just look cool, even though they'll be covered by machine panels and never seen..... :D

A few notes:

1.I did not design these with adjustment built in. The plate they're mounting too is 13mm thick machined aluminum, that is bolted directly to the gantry, so I'm fairly confident it will be square without much adjustment needed. I also modeled the surfaces that clamp onto the tube to have about 2mm larger diameter to allow shimming for minor adjustment.

2. FEA and TO is not really as simple as loading up a 3d model and pushing play. I took a lot of stress/strain analysis classes in school as well as entire classes devoted to FEA. There's a lot of validation involved, and I mostly did this for fun.
James Neiheisel

Re: Over-Engineered Tube Mounts

Here’s the pics.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
James Neiheisel

And more pics
Eric Fletcher
Laser Machine Make or Type: OMTech 100W
Laser Power: 100
Laser Bed Size: 20x28
Home Position: TL
RDWorks Version: UnKnown
Ruida Controller: RDC6442
Windows Version: Mac

Post by Eric Fletcher »

so you wouldn't want to sare that amazing 6445 pod mount???? I would LOVE that unit

Return to “DIY Laser Builds”