Home Position: TL
Control Software: LIGHTBURN
RDWorks Version: V8
Ruida Controller: RDC6442
Accessories: Z-Axis control, Door Protect, Camera
Windows Version: 10

60W CO2 Orion Motor Tech Laser Causing Ground Fault

Post by Christopher White »

We have an Orion Motor Tech (Chinese) 60W CO2 Laser that is about a month old and has worked perfectly after our initial inspection (see below). Suddenly a few days ago it began causing ground faults every time we try to cut with it. It appears to be related to what power we set the laser to for the cut. So far it has only tripped when the power was at or above 50%. So far the ground fault has not occurred below this power level. The fault appears to be intermittent. It always happens but it could take 3 seconds or 10 minutes.

When we received the machine we went through it from top to bottom tracing the lines (no schematic of course) and verifying solid connections. At that time we found and fixed 3 loose wires when we received the machine. The machine has two power supplies with separate power cables. If we plug them into two different circuits the one connected to the computer and accessories is the one that trips. Since it's relevant I'll add that the machine is grounded to a thick steel cold water pipe. Since a ground fault is an AC phenomenon we have ruled out anything downstream from the Power Supply.

Though none of these proved successful in correcting the problem, these are the things we have done so far:

- We went through the machine again and found one more loose wire and the power input to the key switch came out of the connector when we wiggled it just a little. All of these were fixed and the fault still occurs.
- We replaced the generic 24v/5v PS that came with the machine with a Meanwell 24v/30A PS.
- We triple checked that all yellow neutral wires were connected correctly with no change in result.
- We disconnected the built-in vent fan since it was the only device that was connected to AC besides the power supplies.

We have contacted Orion Motor Tech about a refund at this point because we are at a loss as to how to correct the problem. Does anyone have any ideas? We would prefer not to have to go through the hassle of a return and replacement or having to purchase and wait for a new machine, if at all possible.

Thanks in advance,

Chris White
Creatorpult 3D
Frank Small
Laser Machine Make or Type: 50W China Blue upgraded to Reci 75W tube
Laser Power: 75
Laser Bed Size: 500x300
RDWorks Version: RDW v8.01.18
Ruida Controller: Other
Accessories: Ruida Controller R644XG
Rotary fixture
Windows Version: Win 10

Re: 60W CO2 Orion Motor Tech Laser Causing Ground Fault

Post by Frank Small »

Hi Chris

I have a few questions for you.

1) Is this used in your home (residential occupancy) or used in a commercial occupancy?

2) What is actually tripping, a circuit breaker, ground fault circuit interrupter GFCI receptacle or arc fault circuit Interrupter AFCI device? Can you provide pictures of the device that trips?

3) Are both power supplies mounted in the machine?

4) Does the machine have two power cords coming from it? Can you provide a picture of the cords at the machine and of the installed power supplies?

5) Are the power cords plugged into a grounded receptacle(s) and if so did you test the receptacle with a receptacle tester like pictured below?
BE904288-DFFC-404E-B569-2AD2FC0850DB.jpeg
6) Why did you attach the ground to a water pipe? I know this may be open for debate by others but the information is important.

I await your reply.

I did send you a PM with my phone number.

Frank
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Eleven months of the year I’m an old fat guy but in December I’m a rock star, aka Santa
Frank Small
Laser Machine Make or Type: 50W China Blue upgraded to Reci 75W tube
Laser Power: 75
Laser Bed Size: 500x300
RDWorks Version: RDW v8.01.18
Ruida Controller: Other
Accessories: Ruida Controller R644XG
Rotary fixture
Windows Version: Win 10

Re: 60W CO2 Orion Motor Tech Laser Causing Ground Fault

Post by Frank Small »

Hi Chris

Thanks for you call and answering all of my questions. I have given it some more thought and parallel neutrals from the two power cords I think could be the problem especially if all of the neutrals between both circuits in the machine are tied together within the machine.

Let us know if going to one power cord and hooking everything together does the trick.

F
Eleven months of the year I’m an old fat guy but in December I’m a rock star, aka Santa

Return to “Laser Wiring”