Nickname: toby
Laser Machine Make or Type: chinese 600 x 900
Laser Power: 90
Laser Bed Size: 2’x3’
Home Position: TR
Control Software: RDWORKS
RDWorks Version: v8
Ruida Controller: Other
Accessories: upgraded to hybrid servo, separate cw5200 chiller, lots of extra holes in the body no idea why
Windows Version: 7

what cable to extend the motor cable

Post by Toby Hope »

Hi all, I had the x axis stop working in the middle of a big job, after a lot of poking around working things through had a quick chat to Russ, he suggested main issue of this type of fault is often the wiring.. and sure enough I found a split solder joint in the extention piece of one the motor wires which was the culprit!!

anyone suggest a longer cable I can then take the wiring block off and have a single piece going from motor through chain to driver. (this has to be the best option as no joints in the chain guide)

The wiring I had knocking around is smaller gauge than that used on the motor so not wanting to use that.Tthis is the motor I have https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08 ... TF8&psc=1

thanks in advance !
Toby Hope
Accessories: upgraded to hybrid servo, separate cw5200 chiller, lots of extra holes in the body no idea why

Re: what cable to extend the motor cable

Post by Toby Hope »

I've found some silicone insulated cable suggested by Russ, should sort it 👍🏻 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electrical-F ... 4008272602
Toby Hope

Post by Toby Hope »

So, almost a year later and same issues, it’s the wire coming out of the motor directly (not the plugged cable) . I assume the plugged cable is for position feedback and the other the power (not sure at all tbh) but the plugged cable i have a spare of and the issue is still there. The wire direct into the motor i have my solder joints on when i replaced it as opening the motor up to replace it further into the motor was too hard.

the x axis motor looses its ability to move when it’s in a lower position so maybe 2/3rds down the bed. this is the reason i’m thinking the cable has broken down.

generally do you think a year is an ok mileage for needing cable replacing? laser operates probably only a couple of days a week . Seems like crap mileage now i wrote this down , i’ll double check the solder joints first!

thanks for any suggestions
Toby Hope

Post by Toby Hope »

update , it is definitely the cable as continuity breaks with a slight movement in the cable on the white wire, when the x axis is pushed further no continuity at all on white . cable guide doesn’t seem tight , maybe just bad luck .

i’ll attach pic of cable , outer sheath seems un scathed but will only know for sure wen i’ve removed it
E76F58B4-68EA-46AD-B611-9CEDC2A6AFE8.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Toby Hope

Post by Toby Hope »

i located the exact spot the white wire failed , carefully stripped it and you’d have thought it was cut, you can see through the white insulation where the fatigue has discoloured through the white.

Is this normal for all the strands to fatigue like that?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gene Uselman
Nickname: Gene
Laser Machine Make or Type: AKL1318-2
Laser Power: 130W & 80W Reci
Laser Bed Size: 51 x 71
Control Software: LIGHTBURN
RDWorks Version: RDw .19 & Lightburn
Ruida Controller: RDC6445
Accessories: I have a combining lenses, pin tables [homebuilt], honeycomb tables , wireless remote, Modifed Ultimate Air Assist, home built non-powered rotary device, Prusa i3 MK3S and Mini Prusa printers.
Windows Version: Win 10 Pro

Post by Gene Uselman »

This is not normal- I have a 6 year old 900x1300 that has a *lot* of use and never had this problem, There is a big difference in wire and the wire Russ suggested is probably fine- the more strands of wire the better for bending. If this was mine, I would buy the best wire available and perhaps run 2 strands instead of one- either as a backup or you could wire both so that if one fails you will still have a connection. Perhaps look closely at the cable guide to be sure it is positioned as well as can be done. The people building this equipment varies from no skills to... maybe some skill. Some are built very well and some are assembled by people with no clue what is the expected outcome [IMHO].

Just saw the picture- the wire looks like cheap aluminum strands?
If the Help and advice you received here was of VALUE...
Please consider making a donation to maintain the RDWORKSLAB Forum.

BT48 Alpha Shopbot and 1300x1800 130W Laser

The days that I keep my gratitude higher than
my expectations, Well, I have really good days.

Ray Wylie Hubbard
Toby Hope

Post by Toby Hope »

thanks for the reply Gene, glad to know it’s not something i should have to replace, the wires are shiney metal colour , definitely not copper, could this be the issue?

I don’t mind spending money on the cable do you have any links ? or the spec i should be looking for?

thanks

Return to “Laser Wiring”