Nickname: Gene
Laser Machine Make or Type: AKL1318-2
Laser Power: 130W & 80W Reci
Laser Bed Size: 51 x 71
Home Position: TR
Control Software: LIGHTBURN
RDWorks Version: RDw .19 & Lightburn
Ruida Controller: RDC6445
Accessories: I have a combining lenses, pin tables [homebuilt], honeycomb tables , wireless remote, Modifed Ultimate Air Assist, home built non-powered rotary device, Prusa i3 MK3S and Mini Prusa printers.
Windows Version: Win 10 Pro

4. Laser beam adjustments

Post by Gene Uselman »

Laser beam adjustment

4. Combining lenses and red LED adjustments- LObject brkt and combining lens between the tube and #1 mirror. this is a real help with beam alignment IMHO. This pict is the combining mount and lens and also a new 'Peep' hole mentioned in 4.1.1
1318-2_Peep-Combine.jpg

4.1 Mirrors/lens adjust problems- the larger the bed... the larger the problems. I switched to MO type mirror which are better able to handle the higher power tubes and more robust. I am still struggling with the alignment- I just noticed Russ' video Tan tiger #17- 'fourth corner problem' which may be what I am going around and around trying to cure.

4.1.1 Camera to see Mirror 2 at rear of travel- this does work but a lot of trouble. I used a large [3-4"] hole saw and cut a view hole in the bulkhead [which will be covered in normal operation]. I am working on getting the beam from mirror #1 to #2 perfectly level and shimming the #2 upward and adj in and out [provided in the bracket] to get the best alignment front to rear that I can manage. The hole I cut is large enough to reach thru and change targets on #2 mirror which really facilitates this adjustment. Much better than the camera setup... this is how we learn.

4.2 Targets for Mirrors 1 and 2 and target for Mirror 3 [replaces the mirror in the cutting head.
These are pictures of the targets- they are different sizes to fit the mirror blocks on my machine- the ovals are the actual sight pictures of the mirrors to correct scale- engraved and cut from .020 cardstock and covered with a double layer of 1" application tape- you can still see the target ovals. I also cut a bunch of 25mm circles to replace the mirror in the head and had the 'tunnel' into the mirror bored out when I was trying [fruitlessly] to align the original Reci W6 tube with the bad beam pattern. I glued a screwdriver bit into the mirror plug for easy access. I had only a mm or so excess mirror as the beam was so large. The grid type target is what I am using to attempt to resolve the 'Fourth Corner Problem' that Russ touched on- turns out that the larger the bed... the worse it gets.

1318-2_Targetsl.jpg
1318-2_Headl.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If the Help and advice you received here was of VALUE...
Please consider making a donation to maintain the RDWORKSLAB Forum.

BT48 Alpha Shopbot and 1300x1800 130W Laser

The days that I keep my gratitude higher than
my expectations, Well, I have really good days.

Ray Wylie Hubbard
Gene Uselman
Nickname: Gene
Laser Machine Make or Type: AKL1318-2
Laser Power: 130W & 80W Reci
Laser Bed Size: 51 x 71
Control Software: LIGHTBURN
RDWorks Version: RDw .19 & Lightburn
Accessories: I have a combining lenses, pin tables [homebuilt], honeycomb tables , wireless remote, Modifed Ultimate Air Assist, home built non-powered rotary device, Prusa i3 MK3S and Mini Prusa printers.
Windows Version: Win 10 Pro

Re: 4. Laser beam adjustments- adj head mount

Post by Gene Uselman »

I got one of the Russ design laser head mounts from Cloudray- knew my head would not fit but I had a smaller one from a couple years ago that I thought would... it is different from the CR 'C' style head [smaller mirror]. So I built an adaptor brkt to use the main adj brkt and mount my [substantially] larger head from .22 and .115 acrylic [the part facing the laser beam has alum foil mounted to it it protect it]. All good so far, does anyone have an idea what the 'tongue' is for that my arrow is indicating? It interferes with the larger head and I will just bend it down unless I need it.

Laser head adj mount.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If the Help and advice you received here was of VALUE...
Please consider making a donation to maintain the RDWORKSLAB Forum.

BT48 Alpha Shopbot and 1300x1800 130W Laser

The days that I keep my gratitude higher than
my expectations, Well, I have really good days.

Ray Wylie Hubbard
Rodney Edington
Nickname: Rodney
Laser Machine Make or Type: K 40 Building a 22"X 38"
Laser Power: 60 watt
Laser Bed Size: 22"X38"
Home Position: TL
Control Software: RDWORKS
RDWorks Version: NA
Windows Version: 7

Re: 4. Laser beam adjustments

Post by Rodney Edington »

I think it will be OK to bend it down. It's probably there to protect the head from running into something.
Rodney

Here is my build
viewtopic.php?f=159&t=5526&start=20
Andrew Parry
Nickname: andyspoo
Laser Machine Make or Type: Chinese Red/Black
Laser Power: 60w
Laser Bed Size: 730mm x 600mm
RDWorks Version: V8.01.44-191015
Windows Version: Windows 10

Re: 4. Laser beam adjustments- adj head mount

Post by Andrew Parry »

I believe the 'tongue' is designed to activate the home sensor on some lasers.
Gene Uselman wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:50 pm I got one of the Russ design laser head mounts from Cloudray- knew my head would not fit but I had a smaller one from a couple years ago that I thought would... it is different from the CR 'C' style head [smaller mirror]. So I built an adaptor brkt to use the main adj brkt and mount my [substantially] larger head from .22 and .115 acrylic [the part facing the laser beam has alum foil mounted to it it protect it]. All good so far, does anyone have an idea what the 'tongue' is for that my arrow is indicating? It interferes with the larger head and I will just bend it down unless I need it.

.Laser head adj mount.jpg

Return to “Large Format Cabinet Lasers”