Leveling like a pro...

This is for people that have the actual skills and intimate knowledge of how to do items that would be of interest to forum members.
Preben Hovedskou

Leveling like a pro...

Postby Preben Hovedskou » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:27 pm

Hi Folks...

We all know that the therm "Made In China" is NOT an indicator for the best quality in the world.
Our little wonder-machines do contain quite a high technological standard, and even the components used is high-level stuff.
BUT..: The craftmanship of the people in the assembly-department is a disaster!
If the machines was produced just a little bit better and with a lot more care for the details, a lot of problems would be avoided.!
We all uses a lot of time on the machines, just to make them work as we expected them to do when we bought them.

When I got my machine it was'nt able to cut round holes at all. They were uneven and flat at the top, but far away from being round.!
If I cut a polygon with fx 12-16 sides, it was quite OK, but a circle looked like sh**.!
Therefore I started to look on the machanical condition of my machine. And what i found was a little bit chocking.
Fx was the Y-axis guides not parallel.. There was a differens of 3mm when measuring the distance front or back.
When I removed the screws form the lefthand guide, it raised several milimeters in one end.
This showed me that the whole bridge (X-axis) was like a corkscrew. When they mounted the liniar guides, they just drilled the holes,
cut some threads and then fastned the guides. NO burrs from the drilling and threading was removed,
so the whole guide was riding on a pile of scrap.! All the holes for mounting the bridge to the liniar bearings was drilled by hand,
and to assemble the parts they just forced the crews into the threads. So the liniar bearings had a lot of stress and pressure in all directions,
which will not make them work freely and precisely.
So I needed to do something to correct all these mechanical disasters, and I soon realised why leveling a machine is so important.
In my job as a service-technician I have installed hundreds of machines the last 15 years, and one of the first things we do,
is to level the machine very very exactly, using a spirit-level.! We do that for several reasons: one is the precision of the machine.
If it's not in level, it can't cut evenly in all corners.! Another reason is that we need a known base or platform as "a mother" for all other measurements when we build up the machine.! And this is also the main reason to do some leveling on our little machines at home.

NB.: My machine is an KH3050 (blue/white) exatly like the one Russ is using on all his spended videos.

The machine offers no possibility to adjust the level. It's only standing on 4 rubber-feet. So to get this option for adjustment, you have to mount some sort of adjustable feet. There is a lot of different solutions to choose from. Just mount what you like best..
I found these type of adjustable feet at my local hardwarestore. They give me a very easy access to make adjustments,
without fiddling inside and under the machine. (Maybe it's not looking quite nice, but for me it's the pracical issue that counts).
01.jpg

I mounted one in each corner of the machine using pop-nuts and M4 screws.. That makes it easy to mount the feet without fiddling with nuts and washers on the inside.
02.jpg

I also mounted 3 extra lock-nuts on each foot to take up any slack from the stem.
Now it's very easy to adjust the corners of the machine up and down.
08.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Preben
50W KH5030 TL (blue/white)
RDworks 8.01.19 Win10
Qcad (qcad.org)
15 years experience as service-technician for industrial lasers.
( http://www.bystronic.com )

Preben Hovedskou

Re: Leveling like a pro...

Postby Preben Hovedskou » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:30 pm

Using my high-precision spirit-level, I can now set the machine in perfect level in both directions.
(the precision of my spirit-level is 0.05mm pr meter for each devision on the scale)
It is very important to measure directly on the liniar guides..!!! This is the absolute basis for all movements in your machine!

First the Y-axis..:
09.jpg

Then the X-axis..:
11.jpg

When I made the X-axis guide and the right Y-axis guide in perfect level, the left Y-axis guide was NOT in level.
That showed me that the whole gantry was not even, but it was twisted a little bit.
Only way to fix that is to loosen the left guide and put some chims under it, to make it the same level as the right one.
16.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Preben
RDworks 8.01.19 Win10
Qcad (qcad.org)

Preben Hovedskou

Postby Preben Hovedskou » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:33 pm

Now that all 3 guides are perfectly level, we have a reliable and known platform from where we can measure out the rest of the machine.
First of all it give us the possibility to also level the cutting bed to perfection. To adjust you can move the toothed belt one step at a time on the toothwheel in each corner. To fine adjust you have to loosen the threaded bushings in the cutting bed, and turn them until the bed is level.
(Watch Russ doing this in one of his early videos)
12.jpg

Also you now can level your laser-tube with the spirit-level. Then you will be sure that it is completely horizontal to the X-axis.
And as a little bonus, maybe your problems with air-bubbles in the tube will dissapear, bacause it is not tilted anymore..? (mine did!) ;-)

Happy leveling

-Preben-
Preben
RDworks 8.01.19 Win10
Qcad (qcad.org)

Gene Uselman

Postby Gene Uselman » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:23 pm

Very good post Preben- I learned all this the hard way (although leveling on the guide rails is a great tip) and have my machine working like it should. I have a smaller Bodor laser being delivered next week and I expect to get that sorted out (for a friend) in jig time :roll: . Thanks Gene
Gene- 130W 1300x900 China Laser with 2" FL lens
V8.01.19 RDWorks on Win 7 pro
500mm Z, blade table machine home is upper right.

100W Reci tube in a Bodor BCL0605MU V8.01.19
600x500x 200Z, SS table, 2" FL- mach home upper right
Vectric Aspire software- FlexiSignPro- vector/bitmap

Jay Wrightson

Postby Jay Wrightson » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:43 am

Thank you for sharing, I'm hoping to get this machine shortly and this covers one of my *many* fears. Hopefully I'll not run into this but if I do, I'll be following your footsteps ;)
-Jay

-------------------------------------------
50W Blue and White Chinese Laser, 500 x 300, TL
RdWorks V8.01.18
N Ireland, UK

Ron Gosnell

Postby Ron Gosnell » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:27 pm

Thanks for sharing this,
I have a larger machine built on a frame with leveling legs. I leveled it off of the frame and the table. I just went out and checked the rails and tube. The rails are off level but the tube is level. So do you think I should re-level starting with the rails and then level the table and tube ? I do know it cuts unevenly from end to end. it's a 900 x 600 table and it is level. Should I just start all over ? It's been sitting like this for over a year. Do you think that the rails may be warped by now ?
Gozzie
ThunderLaser Mars 90 130 watt 900 x 600 TL
Ruida 644XG Controller RDWORKS 8.01.18
Windows 10 Ethernet Connected

Gene Uselman

Postby Gene Uselman » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:44 am

It is easier to level to the rails and then level the tube, I would not be concerned with the rails warping. Gene
Gene- 130W 1300x900 China Laser with 2" FL lens
V8.01.19 RDWorks on Win 7 pro
500mm Z, blade table machine home is upper right.

100W Reci tube in a Bodor BCL0605MU V8.01.19
600x500x 200Z, SS table, 2" FL- mach home upper right
Vectric Aspire software- FlexiSignPro- vector/bitmap

fred ungewitter

Postby fred ungewitter » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:11 am

I found the level that is in the photo posted by Preben. US$840.00 !!! Holy smokes.

There are other less expensive models on eBay, with one-half of one-thousandth precision over ten inches, approximately US$100.00 so it's not too bad. If one can level a laser to that precision, the results have to be acceptable.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHARS-8-MASTER-PRECISION-LEVEL-FOR-MACHINIST-TOOL-NEW-0005-NEW/331612008154

fred

Redsail clone 60w 700 x 500
home upper right
RDWorks 8.01.18
Windows 7

Emblaser A3 4w diode laser
BCN3D Sigma Dual Extruder 3d printer
LMS Mini-mill
Cube 3rd gen 3d printer (works great, for sale)
Under construction: OX CNC 1000x750 router - out of the box, still in baggies!

Return to “How To”