Laser capability's based on tube size - FEED,SPEED,POWER

This is for people that have the actual skills and intimate knowledge of how to do items that would be of interest to forum members.
Doug Fisher

Re: Laser capability's based on tube size

Postby Doug Fisher » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:46 pm

Nice concept for a thread, Mike. One suggestion, if possible, it probably would help if people could post the percentage value at which the laser was being driven. Additionally, if people know the manufacturer of their tube and the model or series, that would be helpful too (the KH certification/testing label is_not the manufacturer label - owners should look a bit more to find the factory label). There are just so many variables when it comes to cutting. The more we narrow things down, the more useful the data. A nice RECI tube is more than likely putting out more power than an equivalently labeled no-name tube.

Doug
80 Watt 700mm x 500mm Ke Hui KH-7050 Laser (Similar to the Red Sail),T.R.
LaSea/EFR F2 Series laser tube, RuiDa RDC6442G EC controller, 2" lens, RDWorks v8.01.18, CW 5000 chiller, Chuck type of rotary attachment
Doug

sebastien laforet

Postby sebastien laforet » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:39 am

RECI S2 100W laser (real 90W, peak power 100). lens is probably 1.5" focal length (not sure). real max power is around 70% (to stay under the 25mA limit)

3mm MDF at 62% power, cut at 22-25mm/s.
3mm PMMA at 62% power, cut at 22-25mm/s.
1mm cardboard at 30% power, cut at 100mm/s
Sébastien Laforet
machine : Bodor BCL-0605 (60x50) with 100W laser with TR origin.
Live in France
Primarily works laser for my wife (school teacher, so lots of boxes, letters, puzzles, ...) and miniature scenery (32mm scale : warmachine, infinity)

Gene Uselman

Postby Gene Uselman » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:18 am

Good on you Mike- we need some young blood on the board. You might want to standardize on 3-4 common materials to give a more apples to apples comparo? Gene
Gene- 130W 1300x900 China Laser with 2" FL lens
V8.01.19 RDWorks on Win 7 pro
500mm Z, blade table machine home is upper right.

100W Reci tube in a Bodor BCL0605MU V8.01.19
600x500x 200Z, SS table, 2" FL- mach home upper right
Vectric Aspire software- FlexiSignPro- vector/bitmap

sebastien laforet

Postby sebastien laforet » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:35 am

Mike_C wrote:Other materials such as leather, corian, and acetal are less common, but even if only 1 or 2 people provide data for them, it helps give others a starting point.

i have successfully engraved plain "technistone" at 60% power and 100mm/s speed (in scan mode). always with the 100W RECI. i'll try some corian and plain granite someday (my "workshop" is based inside a kitchen/bathroom granite/marble/*stone worktop factory)
Sébastien Laforet
machine : Bodor BCL-0605 (60x50) with 100W laser with TR origin.
Live in France
Primarily works laser for my wife (school teacher, so lots of boxes, letters, puzzles, ...) and miniature scenery (32mm scale : warmachine, infinity)

Jay Wrightson

Postby Jay Wrightson » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:51 am

I have the 50W Blue and White, same as Russ' and probably really only a 40W tube. I am aiming to only do engraving and only on wood. Tests so far show great results and using power of only between 10 and 30% gives me a range of shades of brown which will suit my needs nicely.
Early google research showed that engraving on wood needs a smaller powered tube, something like a 100W would have been too strong even at 10% power.
-Jay

-------------------------------------------
50W Blue and White Chinese Laser, 500 x 300, TL
RdWorks V8.01.18
N Ireland, UK

Chris Berry

Re: Laser capability's based on tube size - FEED,SPEED,POWER

Postby Chris Berry » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:07 pm

With my RECI 100W unit:
(I might be wrong about some causes and effects here and am willing to discuss them to learn so PLEASE correct me!)
3mm plastic faced MDF (the stuff used as backing for kitchen cabinets) Power 24%, Speed 22mm/s is my most cost effective material.
3mm Plywood engraves beautifully at power 30%, Speed 500mm/s
Cuts at 60% speed 50mm/s - but you have to change the user settings to lower acceleration to reduce jitter otherwise on tight turns it won't necessarily cut through - and in doing so, lower min power settings become beneficial.
- Note, audio frequency vibrations increase the real vector path giving a shallower and wider cut. Sub audio vibrations show up as jitter and give you jagged edges and again reduced cut depth.

I use a 10% increase (i.e. 30->33%) when scanning smaller plywood shapes and letters as they require more contrast to be well-defined.
Last project, I changed the backlash settings (0.2mm) and observed greater precision on the scan - I think I need to look a little deeper into the settings because cutting got slightly worse as a result.

I cottoned on to some of the wierdness when scanning 1cm squares x, y, unilateral and swing at 0.5mm pitch - very informative if you want to know the exact deviation of the laser at different speeds!
--------
Chris
--------

Weike 130 x 90 100W RECI Laser TR
Windows 7, RDWORKS V8.01.10

Return to “How To”