Materials Sources/Purchasing/Sellers

Discussion on what materials you laser cut or engrave
Dustin Hawkinson

Materials Sources/Purchasing/Sellers

Postby Dustin Hawkinson » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:22 pm

In the forum re-organization, the old Forum dealing only in sourcing materials has been merged with this one. This sticky thread will serve as a repository for any sources of materials forum members want to add. Any moderator can edit this first post and add sources to the list.

LIST:
--------------------------------------------
***Various wood from Ocooch

***Americans Only - Organizing Boxes

***Anodized Aluminium Business Cards

***45 12x12" sheets of 1/8 BB ply for $55

***KITRONIK in UK - PMMA under the Perspex brand (60cm*40cm*3mm sheets), MDF and HIPS http://Kitronik.co.uk

***US companies for Microplastic (laser engravable multi(color) layer plastics- commonly .020; .060; and .125):
-Rowmark now owns Johnson Plastics which I believe is their main outlet now, altho a lot of companies sell it.
-Gemini's Duets is now marketed (I think exclusively) thru JSD Industries

***Acetal Homopolymer (aka: Delrin) - $9 for an eighth-inch (3.175mm) plate from OnlineMetals.

***In the UK - Hindleys - They are a materials supplier for schools, so you can get acrylic,mdf,ply and laser laminate in a wide range of sizes. (and a lot of other stuff, like metal sheet.) https://hindleys.com/

sebastien laforet

Re: Materials Sources/Purchasing/Sellers

Postby sebastien laforet » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:17 am

i want to add KITRONIK in UK. Kitronik.co.uk

i have purchased from them some PMMA under the Perspex brand (60cm*40cm*3mm sheets). Good stuff, and not to pricey relatively to most suppliers.

they ship to france, i had my command delivered in no more than 3 days. shipping fees (to mainland europa) are ok if you purchase more than 2-3 items, and for 10+ sheets it is cheaper to buy at kitronik and pays shipping than buy in france with less shipping.

they also sell MDF (which i have not purchased), and now HIPS (high impact polystyrene, same stuff as "plasticard" or "evergreen") which i will purchase soon (i'll relate this)

please note that they DO NOT cut sheets at your measure... they sell A4 size, 60*40, ... so you have to pick the size closests to your needs.

you can probably find sellers locally at better gross price for PMMA, but for pre-cut sheets of small size, they are a bargain. not everybody has usage for 24'x48' sheets!
Sébastien Laforet
machine : Bodor BCL-0605 (60x50) with 100W laser with TR origin.
Live in France
Primarily works laser for my wife (school teacher, so lots of boxes, letters, puzzles, ...) and miniature scenery (32mm scale : warmachine, infinity)

Gene Uselman

Postby Gene Uselman » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:55 am

Hi Dustin- nice to meet you- you are doing a great job.

I would add some US companies for Microplastic (laser engravable multi(color) layer plastics- commonly .020; .060; and .125.

Rowmark now owns Johnson Plastics which I believe is their main outlet now, altho a lot of companies sell it.

Gemini's Duets is now marketed (I think exclusively) thru JSD Industries

Both of these companies have a full line of laser (and mechanically) engravable products and have catalogs available.

thanks Gene
Gene- 130W 1300x900 China Laser with 2" FL lens
V8.01.19 RDWorks on Win 7 pro
500mm Z, blade table machine home is upper right.

100W Reci tube in a Bodor BCL0605MU V8.01.19
600x500x 200Z, SS table, 2" FL- mach home upper right
Vectric Aspire software- FlexiSignPro- vector/bitmap

Dustin Hawkinson

Postby Dustin Hawkinson » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:26 am

Hi Gene. You might remember my posts prior to the name policy change, I posted under astral.

My vision for these sticky posts is that anyone in the moderator team can edit the first post as the community makes more suggestions. This way we can keep some important stuff in sticky threads without having additional forums cluttering things up just for simple things like materials sourcing. A member can come here and just browse the first sticky post and then click on a supplier for more info (they are linked to the original posts suggesting them).

So any moderators should feel free to edit these sticky threads to keep them up to date with suggestions.
40W (ebay 50W blue wonder), 300mm x 500m, TL
Windows10 RDW 8.01.19
(The member formerly known as astral)
-Dustin

Simon Morris

Postby Simon Morris » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:59 am

In the UK, I'd add Hindleys https://hindleys.com/

They are a materials supplier for schools, so you can get acrylic,mdf,ply and laser laminate in a wide range of sizes. (and a lot of other stuff, like metal sheet.)

They also have acrylic blocks and cemets.

Delivery is about £5, so not too extorionate
E-bay Blue & White "50W (40 W) Laser" (644XG) TL
Working area 500mm x300mm
RDWorks v8.01.18
Simon

Return to “Materials to Laser”