Simplify3D for 3D Printing ?

All things 3D printing
Dustin Hawkinson

Re: Simplify3D for 3D Printing ?

Postby Dustin Hawkinson » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:00 pm

I've been researching the project, I think I might build one. I've only been printing one part at a time and only when I remember to so no, I'm not printing that fast. I printed two drive wheels and now I'm debating if I should export the other two parts and start printing them or print two more drive wheels for me...

:geek:

WOW I just looked up shipping prices. I am used to seeing $5 anywhere in the US for a small box or padded envelope not $25! That is crazy.
40W (ebay 50W blue wonder), 300mm x 500m, TL
Windows10 RDW 8.01.19
(The member formerly known as astral)
-Dustin

Keith Sherwin
Site Admin

Postby Keith Sherwin » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:33 pm

That is why I said I''ll pick it up :lol: There is no rush, so hope you made your set. I bet there are others that would be happy to pay you to make them for them.

Last week, I mailed some wood photo engravings to my niece in Hurricane, UT for $6.95 or such - from Oroville, WA. She should get them on Monday.
We live pretty close to the border so drive down about 2 times a month and there is a place there that accepts shipments of packages for us for a $4 fee. Good business for them and it fills a need for us Canucks as some US based companies won't ship to Canada.
69 Real (80)Watt Laser w/multi FL lenses. T.L.
Made 5 CNC's, Electronics, Electrical, PLC & Computer background.
:idea: Started this forum - Using RDWorks V8.01.21 on W7 Pro
Lead in creation of the RDWorksLab English Manual.
Crazy Uncle Keith!

Dustin Hawkinson

Postby Dustin Hawkinson » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:27 pm

Sounds good, I can give them to you when you are down here. If you change your mind and want to get building sooner, I'll drop them in the mail to your US address. I mail a lot of things so it wouldn't be a problem.

I decided to jump in and build a rotary table. I won't try selling any parts until I know how my prints function. I have so many extra parts coming that I might even throw a couple kits together if things go well and people are interested. That might make things easier for someone else. Sourcing all the parts was a pain.
40W (ebay 50W blue wonder), 300mm x 500m, TL
Windows10 RDW 8.01.19
(The member formerly known as astral)
-Dustin

Simon Morris

Postby Simon Morris » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:31 am

Hadn't even noticed there was a 3D print sub-forum.

S3D is pretty good - I've used slic3r and skeinforge in the past, and it's a lot faster than any of them.

Being able to manually mess with support material is a good feature.

Negatives:
- Not cheap
- No options for partial infill that I've found. (slic3r allows you to select fill only where needed for internal support)
E-bay Blue & White "50W (40 W) Laser" (644XG) TL
Working area 500mm x300mm
RDWorks v8.01.18
Simon

Stephen Eaton

Postby Stephen Eaton » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:02 am

I've been a long time user of simplify and is my "GOTO" slicer for all things 3D printing that I do. Before this Kisslicer was my #1. I have tried a number of the free slicers and re-visit every now and then, however S3D is still the winner in my books. I found with the OS ones that there was always something missing or broken.

With S3D It works! is very fast slicing and quality of slicing and hence end results is fantastic.

Peelable Rafts and support layers is much better than any of the open source / free slicers available. This was the main reason I initially purchased S3D in the first place as I was having some difficulty with a big print (48Hour) with supports and some Nylon prints that needed rafts and supports. When these finished they just peeled off and was fantastic. I've always seen the UP printer and its software is how peelable rafts/support should work. S3D IMHO works well in this area.

I use a single licensed copy across a the couple of printers I have at home with no problems. I just have different profiles for each of my printers within simplify and select the one I want to output too Both my printers use OctoPi so I just upload and print, also works well direct connected.

To me Simplify is a no brainer and well worth the money. I have recommended it to many people in our Maker community where I live and pretty well all of them end up using it.

Lost of different brand printers are supported with profiles for a large range of printers. If no profile, it's very easy to set one up.

Works across MacOS and Windows.

anyway my advice is just purchase it as its worth every cent.
Stephen...

eBay 80w (70w) Chinese laser, 700x500mm, T.Right Home
RD Works V 8.01.19

otto souta

Postby otto souta » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:01 pm

My humble 2 cents to this thread. I like Sketchup and Slic3r combination, sometimes Repetier, for repairing the design I use the free Netfabb basic. Cleaning nozzle - amongst the usual PCB soldering tools is a steel brush. If you bend one wire at right angle, it makes good nozzle poker, especially as it is wavy. I would not use drill, as it will mess up the nozzle. Sometimes you can clear the blocked nozzle by letting the hot end cool, and at some 150 deg C pull the filament out, it can take the blockage out. I cannot comment on use of PLA, I use mainly ABS, which is also hygroscopic, and I put open reels into plastic storage box with lid with disposable silicagel dehumidifier in it. You can also put the reel/s in oven at 50-60 deg C for couple of hours, do not use higher temp, as the spools are usually rubbish plastic and melt! Warning! It smells, I have been told off by my wife so that I refrain from it - but that is nothing comparing the smell comming out of the laser!
otto
50W laser, 500x300mm, RECI tube, TL
3D printers, Mach3 mill and lathe
otto

Keith Sherwin
Site Admin

Postby Keith Sherwin » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:56 am

Well, after having a long drive, getting caught in a blizzard and becoming storm stayed for two extra days, then driving over 2400 KM to get back home, my frustration level had dropped considerably. So I decided to try putting tape on the bed as suggested by many. I am very happy to say that I am having success :!:
Guess I should have been a bit more patient :oops: Not my strong suit!
Now, all I need to do is get the part that I want to make, scaled to the correct size. I am hoping that Dustin will be able to help me in this endeavor. Looking like I might purchase S3D after all. Will at least need to give it a fair trial.
Thanks to all that helped and made suggestions to me.
IMHO 3D printing is a LOT more complicated than using a laser, especially on your own.
Crazy Uncle Keith!

fred ungewitter

Postby fred ungewitter » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:35 am

With the internet, you are never on your own, even with 3d printing! I'm confident that you aren't afraid to make a mistake every now and then, but I think in 3d printing, learning from those mistakes are more difficult than learning from mistakes in laser cutting and engraving.

So many different factors come into play, the quantity can be overwhelming.

One would guess that Dustin is local to you?

You will get satisfaction when a part you've designed and printed releases from the bed and fits just as you needed/wanted for your purposes.

An anecdote from YouTube: Jimmy Diresta recently received and assembled (maybe pre-assembled) his 3d printer. He said in his video log that he started the print and left to do other things. When he returned, it had failed mid-print and was a rat's nest of filament. The latter portion of this, that he had a rat's nest is not that much of a surprise; you and anyone with a 3d printer can expect to have it happen. The astonishing part is that he walked away from his FIRST PRINT!
fred

Redsail clone 60w 700 x 500
home upper right
RDWorks 8.01.18
Windows 7

Emblaser A3 4w diode laser
BCN3D Sigma Dual Extruder 3d printer
LMS Mini-mill
Cube 3rd gen 3d printer (works great, for sale)
Under construction: OX CNC 1000x750 router - out of the box, still in baggies!

Keith Sherwin
Site Admin

Postby Keith Sherwin » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:02 am

Hey Fred, No, Dustin is a two day away drive from here, but with the Internet, just light seconds away.
If you would like to give it a go, I can EMAIL you the file & correct dimensions.
Crazy Uncle Keith!

fred ungewitter

Postby fred ungewitter » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:22 am

It would be a fun exercise in my (ha!) spare time to see what you're building. Please do at your convenience. If you have the original source files as well as the STL, please consider to include them.
fred

Redsail clone 60w 700 x 500
home upper right
RDWorks 8.01.18
Windows 7

Emblaser A3 4w diode laser
BCN3D Sigma Dual Extruder 3d printer
LMS Mini-mill
Cube 3rd gen 3d printer (works great, for sale)
Under construction: OX CNC 1000x750 router - out of the box, still in baggies!

Return to “3D Printing”