Simplify3D for 3D Printing ?

All things 3D printing
Keith Sherwin
Site Admin

Re: Simplify3D for 3D Printing ?

Postby Keith Sherwin » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:08 pm

It was quite simple to just scale the STL. Aspire allowed it to be done in each axis separately.
Now to get it to start sticking AGAIN!
69 Real (80)Watt Laser w/multi FL lenses. T.L.
Made 5 CNC's, Electronics, Electrical, PLC & Computer background.
:idea: Started this forum - Using RDWorks V8.01.21 on W7 Pro
Lead in creation of the RDWorksLab English Manual.
Crazy Uncle Keith!

Dustin Hawkinson

Postby Dustin Hawkinson » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:06 pm

I just noticed this thread is active again. Did you get the part sticking to the bed? The file I sent you I had to I scaled in S3D, but it was a guess as it only shows me the OD and you provided ID measurements. If you get the part printing well we can try tweaking if my sizing is wrong.

I hate trying to work with downloaded STL files :( CAD files are always easier to start with, but that's not always an option.

I'm actually in the middle of printing the parts for the open source rotary tool that are meant to be machined. I couldn't figure out where I could get them machined, so I'm trying 100% infill in ABS. I am slowing the prints down as warping will be an issue with that much infill, and one of the parts will take close to 9 hours :shock:
40W (ebay 50W blue wonder), 300mm x 500m, TL
Windows10 RDW 8.01.19
(The member formerly known as astral)
-Dustin

Keith Sherwin
Site Admin

Postby Keith Sherwin » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:35 pm

It did not feed properly. It was easier driving on the glare Ice in Montana than trying to print this :lol:
Tomorrow is another day.
69 Real (80)Watt Laser w/multi FL lenses. T.L.
Made 5 CNC's, Electronics, Electrical, PLC & Computer background.
:idea: Started this forum - Using RDWorks V8.01.21 on W7 Pro
Lead in creation of the RDWorksLab English Manual.
Crazy Uncle Keith!

fred ungewitter

Postby fred ungewitter » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:58 pm

Temperature is critical for good filament feed. I learned only last week to reduce the temperature for thin layers and to increase it for thicker ones.

For PLA, I've been running 185-190 for 0.100 layers and 215-220 for 0.300 layers. All temps are degrees C. Some of the fancier filaments will have "non-standard" temperatures. I've found that the translucent stuff really likes to be hotter than standard. It's a long trial and error process, to be sure.

EDIT: okay, not critical so much as important to keep within a certain range. That expression bothered me enough to return and make this correction.
fred

Redsail clone 60w 700 x 500
home upper right
RDWorks 8.01.18
Windows 7

Emblaser A3 4w diode laser
BCN3D Sigma Dual Extruder 3d printer
LMS Mini-mill
Cube 3rd gen 3d printer (works great, for sale)
Under construction: OX CNC 1000x750 router - out of the box, still in baggies!

Gene Uselman

Postby Gene Uselman » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:36 am

You know that you guys are talking into a 3D printer and then out of one on alternate days, right? Gene
Gene- 130W 1300x900 China Laser with 2" FL lens
V8.01.19 RDWorks on Win 7 pro
500mm Z, blade table machine home is upper right.

100W Reci tube in a Bodor BCL0605MU V8.01.19
600x500x 200Z, SS table, 2" FL- mach home upper right
Vectric Aspire software- FlexiSignPro- vector/bitmap

fred ungewitter

Postby fred ungewitter » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:57 am

Gene Uselman wrote:You know that you guys are talking into a 3D printer and then out of one on alternate days, right? Gene

I know that I talk at my 3D printer almost all the time, but I don't know what you mean about into and out of, on alternate days. I've only just awakened and my brain cells are still on hiatus, however.
fred

home upper right
RDWorks 8.01.18
Windows 7

LMS Mini-mill

Gene Uselman

Postby Gene Uselman » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:33 am

Fred- I have been thinking about a 3D printer for years and always waited till they get better developed and easier to run. I have been reading this thread (and others elsewhere) and... one day I think, yah- gotta get me one, and the next day I think... old man, you have enough problems going on for my forecastable life expectancy (16 years according to the IRS :D ). In my mind it will be kind of like learning to be semi-competent at running my CNC router table- a long process. I have so much fun making things with the tools I have that (if I had a mind) I would just do that. At some point you need to start to focus on what you love to do and if you have to buy a few things instead of make them... so be it.

I shoulda ben a philosopher. Or something. Or... being me ain't all that bad :twisted: . Gene

That said- I will get a printer, but this is not the year.

You know that you guys are talking <ME> into a 3D printer and then out of one on alternate days, right? Gene

Just re-read that- maybe this will make more sense?

fred ungewitter

Postby fred ungewitter » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:07 am

Oh yeah, it sure does make more sense now. I'm serving as an unofficial technical advisor to the local public library makerspace. They purchased a Cube 3rd generation for the space and it's been an interesting experience. On the one hand, it's incredibly easy to use. The interface means that the general public can operate the printer and usually get a print to meet their expectations. On the other hand, the consumables are locked into a proprietary cartridge that no one has yet been able to hack. On the gripping hand, the cartridges are somewhat fragile and easily damaged, not covered under warranty and stupidly expensive. I've been able to rebuild a few of the damaged ones, but it doesn't remove the expense, approximately five times normal filament costs.

The library plans to replace the printer, but for obvious reasons, wants an equally user-friendly printer. On the same line, they want to avoid proprietary and expensive consumables. It's a heckuva challenge to find the "perfect" 3D printer and I can't say that I have, but one of our (independent) club members has one that might come close. It's in the consideration stage at the moment and I can only hope that it passes.

Curiously enough, my frustration with my own printer is gradually going away as I learn the fine tuning of so many factors. I would aim to advise anyone else considering a 3D printer purchase to learn as much as possible about the problems of a specific model.

This forum in general allows people to see how things are in the hobby-laser world and to decide if this class of learning is for them. I wish I had found it prior to my laser purchase, but I'm darn sure happy I have it at hand now!
fred

home upper right
RDWorks 8.01.18
Windows 7

LMS Mini-mill

Gene Uselman

Postby Gene Uselman » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:25 am

When you find that perfect printer... I will take one. I make a lot of parts for the business that (I think) would be good candidates for a printer, but usually I can cobble up something with what I have. Thanks Gene

fred ungewitter

Postby fred ungewitter » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:34 am

Gene, the StackExchange forum structure has a 3D printing subset. The SE in general discourages general questions, especially those of the "what's the best" category. Other 3D printer forums don't discourage them and the responses are as varied as one can imagine.

I would never suggest to you that I found your best 3D printer, especially as we've had no discussion regarding any aspect of your use, technical ability or anything else.

In real life, if someone asks me for the best printer, I hedge and stutter and dance around until I can change the subject or the victim runs away.
fred

home upper right
RDWorks 8.01.18
Windows 7

LMS Mini-mill

Return to “3D Printing”