Design Software for OSX

A place to discuss other software like PhotoGrav, A-Cad, Aspire, PhotoShop, Vextractor and Corel to name a few.
Nathan Hunsworth

Design Software for OSX

Postby Nathan Hunsworth » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:19 pm

Evening all, I wondered if we have any other mac users on here that use the Mac for design and export of files to DXF before importing them into RDworks, since this is starting out as a hobby and don't want to splash out on illustrator, I was hoping someone has any options, I am looking at inkscape currently
X700 Clone (eBay) 60W, 700mm x 500mm, T.R.
RDWorks V8.01.19 on Windows 10.
--Nathan

Jason Wright

Re: Design Software for OSX

Postby Jason Wright » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:58 pm

try inkscape as its free and you can save files as DXF files
Chinese 700x500 80 watt machine - TR
Mods: custom air assist off a workshop compressor, ammeter installed, switch panel, overnight internal tube heater

RD works V8.01.18 windows 10

Jason

Dustin Hawkinson

Postby Dustin Hawkinson » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:24 pm

Depends what your goals are. If you like designing functional parts and 3 dimensional projects, I really like Fusion 360 which is free for hobby use. It has a large learning curve but I've learned on my own with the assistance of the interwebs. It is a CAD program and will export DXF files.

I've also used Inkscape which is good, it is close in functionality to Illustrator and Corel Draw. If you want to engrave patterns, logos, text etc onto things, then Inkscape is a better option. You will export EPS files (or .AI I think? It's been a while). Inkscape is geared toward drawing/creating/modifying vector files.

If you learn one or the other, you can do almost everything, each just has its own strengths/weaknesses.
40W (ebay 50W blue wonder), 300mm x 500m, TL
Windows10 RDW 8.01.19
(The member formerly known as astral)
-Dustin

Nathan Hunsworth

Postby Nathan Hunsworth » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:23 am

Dustin

Thanks for the information I will take a look at both of them and see how I get on. Mainly looking to use it for designs and engraving etc so think Inkscape will be the one I learn and also teach the wife how to use.
X700 Clone (eBay) 60W, 700mm x 500mm, T.R.
RDWorks V8.01.19 on Windows 10.
--Nathan

Return to “Other Software”