engraving using adobe Illustrator to design graphic

A place to discuss other software like PhotoGrav, A-Cad, Aspire, PhotoShop, Vextractor and Corel to name a few.
Kev peterkin

engraving using adobe Illustrator to design graphic

Postby Kev peterkin » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:15 pm

Hi all

I use Adobe illustrator for most of my design work and find it imports great into rdworks, however when I make a solid shape in illustrator and import it into rdworks it will only engrave the stroke/outline of the graphic, I get round this by exporting the graphic as a bmp at the mo but that has big limitations. What am i missing here?

Any ideas?

Cheers

Kev.
60w Chinese Red & Black 700x500 (644XG)
chuck style rotary
running RdWorks 8.01.18
Windows 10

40w POS cheap n cheerful desktop laser (actually a great little engraver but sucks at cutting)
2w DIY usb powered micro laser kit, SLOWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Michael Dunning

Re: engraving using adobe Illustrator to design graphic

Postby Michael Dunning » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:01 pm

If you have a closed shape that you want to engrave, you need to change your Layer Parameter from "cut" to "scan" in RDworks. That should engrave the inside of the shape. Unless you mean that you are getting some kind of "picture frame" effect? Can you post some screenshots?
EBay Chinese 60W (45W actual) laser cutter, 700x500mm, (TR)
RDWorks V8.01.18 and V8.00.27
Michael

Don Chatwin

Re: engraving using adobe Illustrator to design graphic

Postby Don Chatwin » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:59 pm

Kev

I use illustrator for pretty much all of my design work as well, what I've found is RD Works only seeks the trokes and the stroke colors.

If you select your closed shapes in Illustrator and give them a stroke of 0.25 and set the color to something other than Black like CMYK Red or CMYK Yellow when you import the file into RDWorks it will automatically assign those colors to a different Layer.

What I've not figured out yet is how to get the color values to all the layer colors in RDWorks, I know CMYK Red, CMYK Yellow, CMYK Blue, and CMYK Green works which is counter intuitive since RDWorks is only suppose to recognize RGB colors lol.

Don
Don
Redsail X700 60W
Ruda RDC6442G
CW-5000DG
RDWorks V8.01.19
Home Position TR
Maple Ridge, BC Canada

Return to “Other Software”