Resetting with a bang!

A place for users to ask questions and search for already asked questions. "BE NICE" and helpful!
Parry Palmer
Laser Machine Make or Type: Ke Hui KH-7050
Laser Power: 60w
Laser Bed Size: 700x500mm
Home Position: TR
RDWorks Version: 8.01.28
Windows Version: 10

Resetting with a bang!

Post by Parry Palmer »

I am positive I have seen this question asked before, but I am unable to find the answer.....
When the machine initilaises and resets, the laser head goes back to the origin and hits the gantry continuosly until I press one of the arrows to move the head away from the origin.
The machine was working fine up to last week, but yesterday when I tried to fire it up, gave me the same problem every time I turned it on.
I have noticed the sensors at the end of the gantries light up as they have always done when the head reaches the origin (so I assume they are still working). Any suggestion?

EDIT: Just checked the dates on the posts on the forum and realised that all old content has been deleted.
Parry
60W 700mm x 500mm Ke Hui KH-7050
TR - 2"FL - mAmeter -
RDWorks 8.01.18 - Win10 via USB key
Josh Creswell
Laser Machine Make or Type: Red and Black Chinese Laser
Laser Bed Size: 700mmx500mm
RDWorks Version: V8.01.18
Windows Version: 7

Re: Resetting with a bang!

Post by Josh Creswell »

Have any of the limit switches moved at all? I ran into this problem a while back after I worked on the wiring for my red dot pointer, I had managed to hit the limit switch on the X axis. Not sure how I did it but it bumped it up just a hair and it was enough to make the laser head smash into it and push it over. Just looking at it you would have never noticed that it had moved. So I would start there... also take a piece of metal ( I use a dill bit) and tap the top of the limit switch and see if the 1. lights up and 2. stops the rail in it's tracks. If neither of these happen I would say you need a new limit switch. Good Luck!
Everyday I'm learning
60w Red and Black Chinese Laser
700mmx500mm TR
Flatbed rotary
RD V8.01.18
Windows 7
Josh
Martín Lázaro
Laser Machine Make or Type: Goldenlaser 2 fixed heads retrofited (6442s)
Laser Power: 80w + 50w
Laser Bed Size: 1300*600mm
Home Position: TL
RDWorks Version: 8.01.23
Accessories: rotary chuck
wireless panel
Windows Version: w7 64bits

Post by Martín Lázaro »

Hi Parry, unfortunately it was written but many posts were lost when the forum was deleted ...

According to my experience, do this test:

A1) From home, move the head ONLY on the Y axis, a few inches. Only on the Y axis
A2) Press RESET
A3) The head should be positioned in HOME without BANGs

B) Now with the hand on the on-off button do the same but moving the head on the X axis: You will have the BANGs, turn it off immediately

At least this happens with my machine and what I discovered is that in the startup, the controller activates both motors (X and Y axis) but it seems that the firmware waits first for the X limit switch and only when it finds it, waits for Y limit switch
In my opinion, this means that if you leave the head at a point where the motors of both axes are activated at the same speed, it arrives at the limit (border) of the Y axis first, then the controller ignores it and even with both engines on, it is still waiting for the home of X and that's where the bridge hits the structure and BANG!

What I do ? I always leave the head in HOME and I mark it as ORIGIN before turning it off

I hope it serves you, we tell you if it was like that
Martin.-
Parry Palmer

Post by Parry Palmer »

Josh Creswell wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:52 am Have any of the limit switches moved at all? I ran into this problem a while back after I worked on the wiring for my red dot pointer, I had managed to hit the limit switch on the X axis. Not sure how I did it but it bumped it up just a hair and it was enough to make the laser head smash into it and push it over. Just looking at it you would have never noticed that it had moved. So I would start there... also take a piece of metal ( I use a dill bit) and tap the top of the limit switch and see if the 1. lights up and 2. stops the rail in it's tracks. If neither of these happen I would say you need a new limit switch. Good Luck!
No, nothing moved and the lights on both switches light up when the reed plate on the head gets over the switches. Unfortunately the head passes the limit switch. I have actually noticed the head seems to be 3-4 cm over where it should be in both directions (ie,it goes over a "zero" plate i screwed to the table as reference point for lining up items and it doesnt reach the edge of the table on the opposite side).
Is it possible that the belt has slipped? Shouldn't this, however, be rectified everytime the machine resets?
Martín Lázaro wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:50 pm

A1) From home, move the head ONLY on the Y axis, a few inches. Only on the Y axis
A2) Press RESET
A3) The head should be positioned in HOME without BANGs

B) Now with the hand on the on-off button do the same but moving the head on the X axis: You will have the BANGs, turn it off immediately

At least this happens with my machine and what I discovered is that in the startup, the controller activates both motors (X and Y axis) but it seems that the firmware waits first for the X limit switch and only when it finds it, waits for Y limit switch
In my opinion, this means that if you leave the head at a point where the motors of both axes are activated at the same speed, it arrives at the limit (border) of the Y axis first, then the controller ignores it and even with both engines on, it is still waiting for the home of X and that's where the bridge hits the structure and BANG!

What I do ? I always leave the head in HOME and I mark it as ORIGIN before turning it off

I hope it serves you, we tell you if it was like that
Martin.-
Martin,
Just tried and it still hits the edge when I reset (louder on the X axis).
Parry
TR - 2"FL - mAmeter -
Jeffrey Aley
Laser Machine Make or Type: Kehui
Laser Power: 50W
Laser Bed Size: 500mmx300mm
RDWorks Version: 8.01.24
Ruida Controller: RDC6442
Accessories: Spray bottle with water (for small fires)
Fire extinguisher (for big fires)
Windows Version: Win10 Enterprise

Post by Jeffrey Aley »

Parry Palmer wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:21 pm
No, nothing moved and the lights on both switches light up when the reed plate on the head gets over the switches. Unfortunately the head passes the limit switch. I have actually noticed the head seems to be 3-4 cm over where it should be in both directions (ie,it goes over a "zero" plate i screwed to the table as reference point for lining up items and it doesnt reach the edge of the table on the opposite side).
Is it possible that the belt has slipped? Shouldn't this, however, be rectified everytime the machine resets?
It's not the belt; as you surmised, the whole point of the limit switches is to allow the laser to find "home".

Let me be sure I understand what you wrote: when the laser is trying to reset, if you apply a piece of metal to the limit switch, the switch lights up, but the axis continues to move? If so, either the wiring from the switch to the controller is bad, or the switch itself is bad.

If you haven't actually tested that scenario, here's what to do:
1) with the power off, manually (i.e. using your hand) move the head and gantry to the opposite corner from "Home". In other words, if "home" is back-left, then move the head/gantry to front-right.

2) Have a piece of metal handy (I use a flat-blade screwdriver).

3) Turn the power on. As soon as the gantry starts moving, touch the screwdriver to the limit switch (I'd start with the Y-axis). The switch should light up, and the axis should stop moving. I think it'll actually reverse direction and move very slowly away from "home" until you remove the metal from the switch. Do the same experiment for the other axis.

Please post your results (or re-post them if you've already done this).
Parry Palmer

Post by Parry Palmer »

[/quote]

It's not the belt; as you surmised, the whole point of the limit switches is to allow the laser to find "home".

Let me be sure I understand what you wrote: when the laser is trying to reset, if you apply a piece of metal to the limit switch, the switch lights up, but the axis continues to move? If so, either the wiring from the switch to the controller is bad, or the switch itself is bad.

If you haven't actually tested that scenario, here's what to do:
1) with the power off, manually (i.e. using your hand) move the head and gantry to the opposite corner from "Home". In other words, if "home" is back-left, then move the head/gantry to front-right.

2) Have a piece of metal handy (I use a flat-blade screwdriver).

3) Turn the power on. As soon as the gantry starts moving, touch the screwdriver to the limit switch (I'd start with the Y-axis). The switch should light up, and the axis should stop moving. I think it'll actually reverse direction and move very slowly away from "home" until you remove the metal from the switch. Do the same experiment for the other axis.

Please post your results (or re-post them if you've already done this).
[/quote]

Hi Jeffrey,
I have tried with the flat screwdriver and it stops the head, but contrary from the past, the head does not return to where it previously was, but stays in the home position. If I actually remove the screwdriver, the head tries to go extremely slowly further back.
I have been playing around for a couple of hours now and the Y axis has reset on and off to the correct zero. The X axis is now 40mm behind where is should be (ie, the head is banging hard against the gantry).
Whilst earlier today pushing the ESC button on the control panel was releasing the motor pulling, now to no avail).
I have also noticed that as soon as the head passes the limit switch, the X and Y counters on the control panel go from 0,0 to 10000,10000. Clearly something is not right.

Any suggestion appreciated
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Parry
TR - 2"FL - mAmeter -
Josh Creswell
Laser Machine Make or Type: Red and Black Chinese Laser
Laser Bed Size: 700mmx500mm
RDWorks Version: V8.01.18
Windows Version: 7

Post by Josh Creswell »

Parry....I hate to say it, but mine was doing the exact same thing. I believe if you will check the X axis limit switch real close, that the limit switch is push up just a hair. It will not look like it is, but I believe it is. Does the laser head push the limit switch over when it gets to the homing position?
Everyday I'm learning
60w Red and Black Chinese Laser
700mmx500mm TR
Flatbed rotary
RD V8.01.18
Windows 7
Josh
Martín Lázaro
Laser Machine Make or Type: Goldenlaser 2 fixed heads retrofited (6442s)
Laser Power: 80w + 50w
Laser Bed Size: 1300*600mm
RDWorks Version: 8.01.23
Accessories: rotary chuck
wireless panel
Windows Version: w7 64bits

Post by Martín Lázaro »

just to be shure, check the configuration in rdworks, FILE / VENDOR SETTINGS (password RD8888)

MOTOR / X :
- enable HOME (yes, in incorrectly written) = checked
- enable limit trigger = checked

and the same to MOTOR / Y

Martín.-
Parry Palmer

Post by Parry Palmer »

Martín Lázaro wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:20 pm just to be shure, check the configuration in rdworks, FILE / VENDOR SETTINGS (password RD8888)

MOTOR / X :
- enable HOME (yes, in incorrectly written) = checked
- enable limit trigger = checked

and the same to MOTOR / Y

Martín.-
Martin,
the "enable trigger limit" in X and Y are NOT checked in the vendor settings. I have never changed any parameters in the vendor settings for the fear of stuffing things up. I have now tried to check both of them and "save", but when I try to exit and save, the only option is to "save as". Is this correct? If so, how do I implement the changes?

In response to Josh>
It seems like the X gantry is just scraping over the limit switch, just enough to mark it: I have checked for anything loose, but the limit switch won't move at all and there is no play on the gantry. I have attached a picture of what it looks like.
laser3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Parry
TR - 2"FL - mAmeter -
Gene Uselman
Nickname: Gene
Laser Machine Make or Type: AKL1318-2
Laser Power: 130W & 80W Reci
Laser Bed Size: 51 x 71
Control Software: LIGHTBURN
RDWorks Version: RDw .19 & Lightburn
Ruida Controller: RDC6445
Accessories: I have a combining lenses, pin tables [homebuilt], honeycomb tables , wireless remote, Modifed Ultimate Air Assist, home built non-powered rotary device, Prusa i3 MK3S and Mini Prusa printers.
Windows Version: Win 10 Pro

Post by Gene Uselman »

To change settings in the Vendor settings you must- first read [the files on the controller], then change, then write the files back to the controller.
If the Help and advice you received here was of VALUE...
Please consider making a donation to maintain the RDWORKSLAB Forum.

BT48 Alpha Shopbot and 1300x1800 130W Laser

The days that I keep my gratitude higher than
my expectations, Well, I have really good days.

Ray Wylie Hubbard

Return to “User Questions and Help”